Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does one need to stay while renting?

Options
  • 11-09-2017 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am looking to move out of home for the first time and house share with a couple of people in the city. I am wondering is there a set amount of time you need to stay in the house or can you just any time as long as you give prior notice move out? Do you need to stay for 3months, 6 months or a year....

Any input is much appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

bajapm wrote: »
    I am looking to move out of home for the first time and house share with a couple of people in the city. I am wondering is there a set amount of time you need to stay in the house or can you just any time as long as you give prior notice move out? Do you need to stay for 3months, 6 months or a year....

Any input is much appreciated

Whatever length of time you signed for on your lease. If you move out prior (regardless of amount of notice) you may be liable to pay additional costs such as advertising and rent until the expiry date of your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you rent a property on a new lease, most landlords insist on a one-year minimum term. You can assign the lease to someone else, but there may be issues involved. At the moment, finding someone to take on the lease shouldn't be a problem in urban area.

If you are a lodger, you have few rights and only 'reasonable' notice need be given.

If you share with others, a variety of situations can arise.

Advertisement