Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf 2016: Fast Charger did not release when I stopped the charging

Options
  • 11-09-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭

Hooked up to the Fast charge in the airport at 16:30, on route to a meeting in Swords at 17:30.
    Tried to unplug at end of charge at 17:00
    No joy with the 1850 number, they re booted the CP.
    I also tried the Emergency switch.
    45 mins later an engineer arrived.
    After much pulling and twisting, and numerous phone calls, he eventually logged on to some site he called "drive" and ran a deactivation sequence, which released what ever was holding it in place, which he claims is in the car and not on their equipment.

I left at 18:50 so 2 hrs 20 minutes....

Food for thought.

Anyone else been there: he claimed it was a first for the Leaf.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Update: Ecars called me today for a detailed de-brief of the sequence of events.
    Nissan are of the view that it is an e-cars problem, which they solved by using the de-activate protocol.
    Charged at another FC today, no drama so looks like no damage to the car unit

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would believe Nissan in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

That happened to me at a slow charger in Navan. The cable would not release from my car after charging. Tried locking the car then unlocking but no release. ESB shut down the piller but still no joy. I rang Nissan and they sent out a local rescue truck. After much pulling and heaving, locking and unlocking, I looked up youtube and found a video of how to manually disengage the plug. There was no post incident debrief and Nissan had no words of wisdom and seemed uninterested to hear anything I had to offer. It never happened again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

macnab wrote: »
    That happened to me at a slow charger in Navan. The cable would not release from my car after charging. Tried locking the car then unlocking but no release. ESB shut down the piller but still no joy. I rang Nissan and they sent out a local rescue truck. After much pulling and heaving, locking and unlocking, I looked up youtube and found a video of how to manually disengage the plug. There was no post incident debrief and Nissan had no words of wisdom and seemed uninterested to hear anything I had to offer. It never happened again though.
    Do you still have a link? That would be interesting, didnt know that it was possible to release manually from an SCP

• Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Many Ioniq owners have had stuck cables. Usually a bit of locking / unlocking the car could do the trick, also there is a manual cable in the boot to release the charge lock

I'd blame the cars before I'd blame the fast chargers...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Many Ioniq owners have had stuck cables. Usually a bit of locking / unlocking the car could do the trick, also there is a manual cable in the boot to release the charge lock

I'd blame the cars before I'd blame the fast chargers...
    Yes but this was an SCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but this was an SCP.

OP is talking about a FCP?

Do you still have a link? That would be interesting, didnt know that it was possible to release manually from an SCP
    unkel wrote: »
    OP is talking about a FCP?

Sorry, my question was related to the SCP point above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

in a fast charger , the car has no ability to lock in the connector , that facility is in the FCP connector

in a slow charger , the car does have the ability , the lock mechanism is part of the car , not the plug

hence only the FCP can release its connector , however the FCP must be convinced the session has ended to do that , thats based on a handshake with the car

BoatMad wrote: »
    in a fast charger , the car has no ability to lock in the connector , that facility is in the FCP connector

in a slow charger , the car does have the ability , the lock mechanism is part of the car , not the plug

hence only the FCP can release its connector , however the FCP must be convinced the session has ended to do that , thats based on a handshake with the car
    Why then does CCS behave differently in different cars (Ioniq/i3 for instance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

CCS the lock is on the car side.

On the i3, if you've hit the emergency stop on the rapid and are sure no power is present, there is a manual release for the lock behind a rubber plug hinge side of the rear driver's side door.
    Inside is one release for the charge port door and one for the plug itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

This cable locking problem goes back about 4 years with 22 kva CPs in NI. All our eggs were switched to one basket, Munich, all CPs the same ie all faults the same. I waited 6 hours one day until the chap talked to Germany at length. I had to leave the cable, worth I believe about 300€ , telling the hotel not to panic with a large cable coming out of a plastic bag in their car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

https://youtu.be/HOqkrqg6zds

Its not quite as simple as the kid in the video makes it look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

https://youtu.be/HOqkrqg6zds

Its not quite as simple as the kid in the video makes it look.

Ah, the (in)famous comb video. The lock on the Leaf is very easy to defeat. Reminds me of my old Hondas, which could be stolen using just a spoon.

Advertisement