Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find birth mother

Options
  • 11-09-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've read through some threads and this community seems to be so helpful, so hope you can help me too.

I am not adopted but my brother is. He mentioned to me recently that he really would like to try to find his birth mother, but doesn't know where to start. He was adopted in Dublin in 1988. I do know the name his birth mother gave him. Can someone please advise how he can proceed as I'm trying to help him with this process and would love for him to move forward with this as quickly as possible so that he can hopefully establish contact with his birth mother.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If you know your brothers date of birth and his original forename then you can go to the GRO in Werburgh Street and search through the birth indexes for the relevant year looking for any entry where forename and birth date match and the surname and mothers maiden name are the same. Hopefully you won't find too many and you can pay €4 for a research copy of the cert or certs you think are a match.

Searching for a birth costs €2 and you are allowed to search a five year period which is useful when not certain of the year.

There is a maximum of 8 certs per person per day so it's always useful to have a second person with you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Fair play for helping your brother. It's important for him to have support. Have a look at the tracing guides which you can find in the Sticky thread at top of adoption discussion board. There are 2 for adopted people - work from the first and see how ye get on. The fact your brother has his original first name is a bonus.

Advertisement