Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Nua Anxiety and Part Time Work?

Options
  • 11-09-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, for the last couple of months I've had to go on a medical cert because of anxiety and depression, which I've suffered with since I was 13. This was due to Turas Nua putting me on a course that I had already done years before, but halfway into the course I had a terrible panic attack and couldn't return because of the amount of people and studying I had to do, literally caused me to freeze, panic and start getting panicky in social surroundings. Now, I received a letter this morning saying basically I've to sign back on the jobseekers or get disability.

I don't want to go on disability, as their is too much letters and forms to fill out and I hate being judged because people look at me and I look perfectly normal and happy, but on the inside I'm dying slightly everyday. So, I'm going to sign back on the jobseekers even though I know myself I'm not mentally prepared to face a full time working environment, but I can't afford to lose any money right now or I'll be homeless and starving.

So, I wanted advice on something, as I know I'll be summoned by Turas Nua once I sign back on. Is it possible if I explain to them that I am still not mentally stable, if it is even possible to find a part time job that won't be too stressful and would ease me back in, rather than something that will be surrounded by people, cause me to break down and freeze again, and set me into a catatonic nightmare I've been in for the past couple of months?

Will they allow me to just choose a part time job that will ease me back in to a working environment instead of a full time job just so I can build up my ability to cope with these types of situations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MitsyMoon

I just need to know what to do, how it will affect my financial situation? Will it be worse or better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Have you ever thought of doing a ce scheme. You get paid the same, maybe even an extra E20, not much but that's life. And you don't have to sign on or engage with turas nua while on it. It will ease you back into a work environment as it's only 19.5 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 crystal hedgehog

MitsyMoon wrote: »
    Hi, for the last couple of months I've had to go on a medical cert because of anxiety and depression, which I've suffered with since I was 13. This was due to Turas Nua putting me on a course that I had already done years before, but halfway into the course I had a terrible panic attack and couldn't return because of the amount of people and studying I had to do, literally caused me to freeze, panic and start getting panicky in social surroundings. Now, I received a letter this morning saying basically I've to sign back on the jobseekers or get disability.

I don't want to go on disability, as their is too much letters and forms to fill out and I hate being judged because people look at me and I look perfectly normal and happy, but on the inside I'm dying slightly everyday. So, I'm going to sign back on the jobseekers even though I know myself I'm not mentally prepared to face a full time working environment, but I can't afford to lose any money right now or I'll be homeless and starving.

So, I wanted advice on something, as I know I'll be summoned by Turas Nua once I sign back on. Is it possible if I explain to them that I am still not mentally stable, if it is even possible to find a part time job that won't be too stressful and would ease me back in, rather than something that will be surrounded by people, cause me to break down and freeze again, and set me into a catatonic nightmare I've been in for the past couple of months?

Will they allow me to just choose a part time job that will ease me back in to a working environment instead of a full time job just so I can build up my ability to cope with these types of situations?
    Bless you I feel for you.I am not on JSA but my fiance was with TN from February until recently when he found himself a job. He was quite stressed by them in the latter months and, speaking as an ex-psychiatric nurse,I am not sure it would be helpful to your recovery to engage with them. My advice is to go to your G.P.,psychiatrist or which ever clinician is currently caring for you and ask them for help. I was a nurse in England and if it was in England, I would have advised you to also go to MIND,a mental health charity, who have advocates who help people with mental health problems when they come up against the system like this. I do not know if there is a similar charity or advocacy service in R.o.I but you GP or responsible clinician should know. They would also help you navigate the minefield of applying for Disability Benefit which it does sound like you would be better off on for the time being, at least until your health has vastly improved. The Citizen's Info will be able to help you with this also.I applied for Disability as I too have been diagnosed with Chronic Depressive Disorder and was going to get help from them appealing when I was turned down, but we went England - that's another story though.
    As I say,I would try and avoid TN if I were you as they do not care about the welfare of their clients but about making a profit. They are a private company! Go to your GP and get as much help as you can. Others have reported that their Independent Councillor has been helpful as well.I have just had a look for mental health charities and the first one that came up is Mental Health Ireland, a voluntary organisation that endeavors to help people such as yourself and me.Their number is 01 284 1166. I will continue to look up charities and advocacy services and if you want,PM me and if I can give you any helpful advice, I will.Please let us know how you are getting on and put your own health first! All the best!

Advertisement