Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling foreign shares

Options
  • 11-09-2017 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I work for a UK listed company in Ireland and part of the bonus system is made up of shares in the company. I recently sold some of these shares through a U.K. asset services company but I never considered how this would impact on my CGT return. As a result I'm unsure if I need to file a return in the UK or Ireland or both. Does anyone have any advice or experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you're resident in Ireland, you will pay any CGT due in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

If you're resident in Ireland, you will pay any CGT due in Ireland.

That's what I thought, I had a bit of a brain fart moment over it! A colleague said it to me this morning and I was going over & over in my head that I'm resident & domiciled in Ireland so obviously I declare here but I just couldn't reconcile it in my head. I blame the fact that it's Monday.

Advertisement