Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a pump to improve water pressure?

Options
  • 11-09-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just moved into a new house (new for me I mean, about 20 years old). The water pressure is ok in the bathroom, bath and sink + toilet refills quickly enough, but the ensuite shower is a trickle as are the taps, plus hot tap in the kitchen and hot and cold in the downstairs toilet.

I'm a bit puzzled as to how and why the pressure is ok in the bathroom but terrible everywhere else, but was thinking -

A: would a pump in the hot press remedy it?
    B: what kind of price are we talking about?

I previously lived in an apartment and I know that negative head pumps can be very pricey, but am I right in thinking a cheaper type of pump will do once there's a tank in the attic to provide a head of pressure to begin with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I previously lived in an apartment and I know that negative head pumps can be very pricey, but am I right in thinking a cheaper type of pump will do once there's a tank in the attic to provide a head of pressure to begin with?

If it was just the shower you'd get away with a cheap pump. 200 price bracket. I you want more pumped then I need a house pump. 550 price bracket for a brass body one. Labour to install depends on the lay out of the pipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Been like you years ago...
    Fitted a normal pump that every plumber is familliar with and highly recommended ... well,next hour the water hammer noise and pipes squeaking every time the pump was running.

I had to get a pump with soft start - soft stop.
    As wll, i checked the pipes under the floor / above the ceilling and found a joke of a Paddy the plumber / fitter.

So, prepare for some mor€ than a pump when you are going to get it fitted...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Thanks folks,

So I'm likely talking region of a grand or so?

Also what is water hammer?
    Is the soft start / stop thing some sort of electrical controller that could be added in afterwards in the case of problems or is it an integral part of the pump? Pricey either way no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I got one parts and labour for ~€600. Walrus TQ400. Very happy with it - nice and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Mine is a Calpeda pump bought from a s h o p in D15.
    Had one,a cheaper and highly recommended by the plumber that has waking up the estate when activated .

Water hammer...

If your pipes are like mine,with the Variable Speed Drive pumps and/or soft start - soft stop controller you will hear a humming / vibration noise across the house.
    If you can to check the pipes it will be great but only if troubles arrives as a result of the piping.

427844.jpg

427845.jpg

427846.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Thanks Rolion.

My plumbing "knowledge" is next to zero - in fact I wouldn't even go so far as to call it knowledge!

The pictures you posted - is that what will lead to water hammer problems, if pipes are touching off each other and sitting on the joists and so?
    Also is the problem just the noise or could it actually cause damage, like burst a pipe or cause a joint to come apart or something like that?
    Because I've had a few floor boards up recently and that's pretty much what the pipes I could see then were like.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If it was just the shower you'd get away with a cheap pump. 200 price bracket. I you want more pumped then I need a house pump. 550 price bracket for a brass body one. Labour to install depends on the lay out of the pipes

I know this a sum-what old thread, but 550 euro is a bit much.

For 329 euro you have a Walrus TQ400 3 bar booster pump which is widely used in Irish houses.

If anyone checks this thread for resources

http://www.heatwise.ie/Walrus-TQ400-3-Bar-Booster-Pump

On Adverts they go half price or less for 2nd hand

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Poncke wrote: »
    I know this a sum-what old thread, but 550 euro is a bit much.

For 329 euro you have a Walrus TQ400 3 bar booster pump which is widely used in Irish houses.

If anyone checks this thread for resources

http://www.heatwise.ie/Walrus-TQ400-3-Bar-Booster-Pump

On Adverts they go half price or less for 2nd hand

The Walrus TQ400 isn't a shower pump as far as I remember. Single inlet & single outlet. It's a pump for the whole house rather than a shower.

Also I advise against 2nd hand as you end up buying someone elses problems however there are pump repair companies that sell good quality reconditioned pumps with a warranty. domesticpumps is the one I trust most

https://www.domesticpumps.ie/product-category/stuart-turner-reconditioned1/

https://st-pumps.ie/

Advertisement