Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Research Facility Questions

Options
  • 10-09-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning on visiting the GRO's Research Facility on Werburgh Street and I have a few questions about it:

Do you need to show ID there?

If you fill in a form at the GRO Research Facility, can you pay for certs there in cash and not give credit card details?

If you pay the €20, how long do you have there? And is it just one of the three categories (birth, marriage or death) that you can search with €20 or can you search all three as you wish?

What year were dates of birth and mother's names added to marriage certs?

Thanks very much. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Alan259 wrote: »

Do you need to show ID there?

No.
    If you fill in a form at the GRO Research Facility, can you pay for certs there in cash and not give credit card details?

Yes.
    If you pay the €20, how long do you have there? And is it just one of the three categories (birth, marriage or death) that you can search with €20 or can you search all three as you wish?

What year were dates of birth and mother's names added to marriage certs?

Thanks very much. :)

Not sure on these last two. Others will know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The €20 fee allows you search the birth, marriage and death indexes for the whole day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've never been asked for ID. Always paid cash. I don't think they can take credit cards yet. You can check the website :

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/GRO_Research.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They do take cards but cash is fine. Bring lots.

The €20 covers the full day, unlimited searching in all the indexes, but you are still limited to receiving 8 certs in person on that day. Any subsequent ones can be posted or emailed to you.

Actual dates of birth are not added to marriage certs until really recently but actual ages instead of "full" became standard in the 1940s. Mothers' names added in 1956, in place of fathers' occupations.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Forgive me if this is a stupid question - I don't see an answer in the stickies - but what is the advantage of going to Werburgh St when (it seems to me that) everything you can get there is available online? Or is it to cover those gaps in the online records where the image isn't yet available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

p15574 wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question - I don't see an answer in the stickies - but what is the advantage of going to Werburgh St when (it seems to me that) everything you can get there is available online? Or is it to cover those gaps in the online records where the image isn't yet available?

Records are available in Werburgh Street up til (almost) the current day - not the 50/75/100 rules - which are basically 51/76/101 due to slow updates online. Additionally the content where the images aren't online yet is there too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yep, exactly what L1011 said. If you order stuff via fax or post, there's a time lag, but if you can get into Werburgh St, you only have to wait while they print it out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement