Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty PC power supply?

Options
  • 10-09-2017 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

My hp pavilion 500 desktop wont turn on. When I plug it in the green light on the back is lit. When I press the power button the green light goes off, the fans attempt to spin but that's it.
    Looking at you tube people saying to test the power supply with a multimeter which I don't have.
    Is it likely the psu is bad & should be replaced or could something else be faulty?
    The replacement pn is 715184-001. Hp want €85 but am thinking of getting a corsair vs350 for £35 from amazon.
    I'm assuming the connectors are all standard & I shouldn't have any issues replacing it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

raxy wrote: »
    My hp pavilion 500 desktop wont turn on. When I plug it in the green light on the back is lit. When I press the power button the green light goes off, the fans attempt to spin but that's it.
    Looking at you tube people saying to test the power supply with a multimeter which I don't have.
    Is it likely the psu is bad & should be replaced or could something else be faulty?
    The replacement pn is 715184-001. Hp want €85 but am thinking of getting a corsair vs350 for £35 from amazon.
    I'm assuming the connectors are all standard & I shouldn't have any issues replacing it.

I think HP use standard ATX PSU as I replaced one before from memory. Easiest way to check is to remove the current one and check the connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That one is ATX alright. You can straight swap it.

Not sure those symptoms really say dead PSU though, could equally be a dead board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sounds more likely to be a dead motherboard to be honest, possibly RAM but seems unlikely to be the PSU from what you've described. Do you've a friend who could loan you a power supply by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭raxy

That doesn't sound promising. Don't know anyone who would have a spare to try. The psu is on the way now anyway though.
    Maybe I should drop it into a repair shop, id change a psi but if its the board I think it might be beyond me.
    Is there anything i should try myself first? There's 6gb ram in it, 4+ 2. Should i take 1 out & try starting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

That doesn't sound promising. Don't know anyone who would have a spare to try. The psu is on the way now anyway though.
    Maybe I should drop it into a repair shop, id change a psi but if its the board I think it might be beyond me.
    Is there anything i should try myself first? There's 6gb ram in it, 4+ 2. Should i take 1 out & try starting it?

Depending on your experience and skill set there are a number of things you could try.

Check all the connections from the PSU. There is more than one connection from the PSU to the M/board

Assuming you haven't already, remove all non critical external devices. Remove any non essential PCI cards. Then try again.

Your suggestion of removing each of the RAM sticks in turn is the next step.

Also if you are comfortable doing so, disconnect the HDD, both the data and power cable. See if the PC powers up to allow you to enter the BIOS

If you have a lot of PC building experience, then a re seat of the processor might work. DON'T Attempt this unless you know what you are doing!

The problem with an off the shelf PSU is not just whether its ATX or not. Sometimes the OEMs, HP, Dell etc. have smaller size PSU or PSUs with unusual mountings. Make sure a standard one will fit. and can be mounted.

Failing all that bring it to a repair shop. Before you do that though make sure your data is backed up, or that the repair shop guarantee backing up your data before they proceed with any work.

• Advertisement

I think I'll leave it to the repair shop to figure out.
    I used a can of air to clean dust out from inside a few weeks ago. It had been working fine since but could that have caused the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I used a can of air to clean dust out from inside a few weeks ago. It had been working fine since but could that have caused the problem?

Mention to repair shop in any case.

Thought I'd update incase anyone was interested.
    It did turn out to be the power supply. Should have stuck with my original plan but only cost me €15 more than the power supply I ordered so no big deal

Advertisement