Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MediMee - a life saving device & app for bikers

Options
  • 10-09-2017 2:03pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads, a good friend of mine recently had a brilliant idea around how to provide life saving medical information when you may be incapacitated. He created a device that stores your vital medical information in an RFID chip on either a bracelet, badge or sticker, and then this info is available on any phone with the App. The Ambulance and Fire brigade now use it - and so do Blood Bikes - all the lads have the sticker on their bike helmets! He has even won some competitions for best healthcare startup.

nFhLcrx.png

Obviously this could be fantastic for any biker providing life saving informative to the people who need it in the case of an accident. Its just a little sticker that goes on your helmet and any emergency services people can get all the important info by touching the RFID sensor with their phone - thus potentially saving vital time in an emergency. He's already in talks with some of the motorbike insurance be standard for everyone.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teJWDNt2eRU
    PRess: Journal Article, RTE News,

I think its a really fantastic idea, I've been using it and and I told him I'd help spread the word. He said he is happy to give some away free to boards users - so let me know if interested. Would you guys want to use something like this? Anything anyone can do to get the word out would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I'd definitely use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd definitely use it also. Great idea, surprised I haven't heard of it before if the emergency services are using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

is the information they store secure? that's the only bit I'd be a bit wary of.. if someone can read an NFC code and it returns intimate details about someone is there something in place to stop someone just generating codes & pulling that information down and having every biker in irelands details?

(Great idea, don't intend at all to sound negative in the slightest)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

is the information they store secure? that's the only bit I'd be a bit wary of.. if someone can read an NFC code and it returns intimate details about someone is there something in place to stop someone just generating codes & pulling that information down and having every biker in irelands details?

Be easier to look at their Facebook or twitter.

Good idea but having to link to a database means that if you are in an area with no coverage it's useless. My phone can provide the same information from the lock screen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes it's secure - it's a fair point. The Emergency services have a special version of the app where they can get everything, but you choose how much info you want to provide to any punter who has the app. Might just be bloody type and allergies etc for example - but you have full control in the app.

Re the out of coverage point - if there is no signal you would not be able to even call 999. But they are building in an offline mode currently which will solve the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its an excellent idea, I'd use it. As it stands I have my RH blood type on my helmet but this would be an additional and very useful addition.
    Just one caveat, make sure that the adhesive is safe for the most common helmet types ie Fibreglass/Carbon and Polycarbonate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You can encode all the information an emergency services person could possibly want in a barcode, without needing any kind of database. The issue is then having someone scan your barcode on your lid and get your info, but you could easily cover it with a 'remove in emergencies' sticker or something so you know it's been tampered with.

I've no idea why startups and apps insist on storing data online when it's easily storable with the user, where they can be responsible for keeping it secure. Data stewardship is hard.

It's a good idea, but increasingly people will be wary of storing sensitive data online, since with data breaches, it's a matter of when, rather than if.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If i'm going to get a blank NFC thing and put the info on it myself then OK that's pretty secure bar someone else coming along and scanning it. Just then you have to be sure your users have an NFC capable device and you need to make sure they have done it correctly somehow. (By giving them an app capable of scanning these tags.. which opens the can of worms that is scanning other peoples lids)

Then if I'm putting in my details online and they send me out a programmed NFC tag.. as you say unless that data is nuked on their end it'll eventually get leaked

If it's totally offline and you have a tamper proof thing over the NFC tag, there's the question of why not cut out the middle man and have a tamper proof seal over a piece of paper that you've written your details on? Half the benefit to it being somehow online would be that you could have up to date details, the phone app prompting you once a month to add any new medication you're taking ETC. Details put in on a 5 year old lid with info about allergies etc couldn't be that reliable. But if you're adding the info yourself you could be prompted to update it manually.. which I can't find an issue with

(again all this is meant to be constructive.....!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Deffo take one Zascar, fantastic idea hope it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Excellent idea and I hope it takes off. The data security issues are valid points. I'd be interested to see the extent of the data collected.

Defo interested in using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Definitely interested in something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Sounds like a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Great idea. Would definitely be interested. Website is slick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Best of luck to your friend on a great idea. I'd be very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

the best ideas are always the most simple ones. best of luck to your mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Good luck with this. All my helmets have the CERQL.co.uk QR codes, with the info online that I have given them. Having travelled abroad, I see the need for this.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Great idea I must say. I'm just wondering about placing it on the helmet.

Having seen an accident first hand, thankfully the guy wasn't killed but the helmet wasn't in the greatest condition after. The visor was across the road. Fair bit of damage to plastic on outside.

But would this thing not just get ripped off and end up down the road?

Or is that just a sticker to say there's a chip in your pocket or something?

Again, I do think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What if an accident victim is wearing someone else's helmet?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the support lads. Please PM myself and Bernard - Username: BerBer3 - if you are intersted in MediMee and want a tag. Several people have got in touch already in relations to getting medimee in use for clubs, companies etc - if anyone else can make such an introduction that would be fantastic, please get in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Would be worth posting this in the Cycling form also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭flatty

You're all fairly pessimistic.

Advertisement