Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Guitar: Ratuken Global Market

Options
  • 10-09-2017 11:56am

Hi all, does anyone have any experience of buying instruments from

Ratuken Global Market?.

I've been looking at high end second hand acoustic guitars in Ireland and the UK and you very often can buy the guitar new from the above site for a lot less thah second hand prices. Cant be surely?

I haven't processed a purchase from this site to a purchase, so I don't know if other costs appear, postage, insurance, import export etc.

Any experiences of buying from this site?

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ontai/item/1397059/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Hi. Japanese native speaker here. Not a guitarist.

Ratuken is one of the biggest shopping-mall-style websites in Japan, like Amazon market place service. Within Rakuten group, Rakuten Global Market provides a service for international sellers/buyers.

Basically you are internationally buying something from a shop via Japanese shopping service. But it does not mean you are buying something from Japan. Rakuten Global can be registered by non-Japanese sellers too, like nearby Chinese shops etc. The seller does not need to situate in Japan.

In terms of Tax, you'll pay VAT + customs duty for a new item imported from outside the EU.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html

The shipping + insurance varies by which courier you/shop use. If the shop does not state the price, you may check couriers' website like Japan Post (English available) to get the rough cost.
    https://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/index.php?lang=_en

It sounds strange to me that a new is cheaper than the 2nd hand, because the living cost in Japan is about the same or higher than Ireland. Non-Japanese manufacturers' instrument (like Fender etc) is usually more expensive out there, like Honda car is more expensive here.

An exceptional case is the vintage 60/70s guitars built in Japan under the license of non-Japanese manufacturer. Like Kawai/Fujigen plants built guitars are much cheaper there than UK/Ireland market. I heard from my friends who imported, as there were bargain price.

Buying items from Japanese shop is safe in general. Still, it is very good to study well about the sellers and the items before you buy. I hope this reply is useful for your shopping :)

Thank you very much for the very clear and informative explanation of what Rakuten Global Market is and how it operates.

Re: "Cheaper to buy new than second hand asking prices". That makes sense too, as the guitar I was looking at is made in Japan and the person who imported it into Ireland, would have had to pay VAT and Customs duty etc. (Top quality it is too!) :)

So the price it appears at on Rakuten Global Market is before all of that has been applied.

It is indeed very kind of you to have taken the time to share this information.

Many thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PopSensyDad

My pleasure. I hope you'll get a great guitar for a happy music life :)

Advertisement