Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candies that don't taste the same like before

Options
  • 10-09-2017 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Cadburys Wispas taste different then they did in the 80s and 90s. The chocolate was darker and the bubbly grooves inside it were bigger and tasted sweeter. Why did they have to change that? I'm sure there is many other examples of stuff that got changed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

We used to call it chocolate back then too. When did it become candy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

fiachraX wrote: »
    We used to call it chocolate back then too. When did it become candy?

I get it from my American wife, over the years it was drilled into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

All commercial chocolate tastes very different now.
    Cadbury's introduced a massive change of blend about 10 and another 5 years ago.
    The fat content has risen and cocoa level dropped. Smaller salt content also.
    I remember when it was difficult to break a Yorkie or bite into a walnut whip, nowadays they have a texture like soft soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Probably took out the stuff that tastes nice but kills you prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I wouldn't buy Cadbury's anymore; if I want chocolate, I buy Aldi or Lidl. They have higher cocoa content (33%+) for milk chocolate than Cadbury's (20% or something like that). Aldi do lovely Rich Chocolate.

On topic: I used to love Bounty bars, but I got one last week for the first time in years and it was awful: definitely not what I remembered.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Cadbury's introduced a massive change of blend about 10 and another 5 years ago.
    I remember when it was difficult to break a Yorkie or bite into a walnut whip, nowadays they have a texture like soft soap.

What reason would They do this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I remember Yorkie being hard to bite into and the pieces were bigger to. Smaller quantity and charge more is their policy today.. They cloak the real reason for this by arguing they want to provide buyers with a healthier diet by reducing consumption size of their product. We all know that probably isn't true and it really translates to more money for them while giving you less.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    What reason would They do this
    Usually cheaper to make it that way. In hot countries they might change to to not melt as easily.

I remember Yorkie being hard to bite into and the pieces were bigger to..
    wiki says yorkies were originally 58g. But were actually at their biggest in 2002 at 70g

46g now in tesco
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=286633239

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkie_(chocolate_bar)
    Yorkie first launched its "not for girls" positioning in 2002, in an effort to better target male consumers. Then-marketing director Andrew Harrison said the campaign was planned as a deliberate antidote to the "feminine silks and swirls and indulgent images of most confectionery advertising".
    Read more at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/yorkie-makes-shift-not-girls-positioning-new-tv-ad/1135039#VfiAcUCFmCccLzZL.99
    that must be why they increased the bar size back then, to go along with their "not for girls" thing -whereas now they are fun size bars for toddlers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Lion bars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

The Cadbury's creme egg, the chocolate is different. But I think this was explain with Cadbury's been sold to Kraft's a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I found those cheap Macaroon and Mint Crisp chocolate bars in a shop a while ago. Use to love them and they still taste the same :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I remember Yorkie being hard to bite into and the pieces were bigger to. Smaller quantity and charge more is their policy today.. They cloak the real reason for this by arguing they want to provide buyers with a healthier diet by reducing consumption size of their product. We all know that probably isn't true and it really translates to more money for them while giving you less.

A lot of the reduction in size is due to increased ingredient costs. The cost of cocoa has risen sharply over the past few years, so manufacturers are left with the problem of continuing to produce bars that are the same size, but with a significantly higher price as a result, or reduce the size of the bars and keep the price roughly the same. They obviously feel that people won't accept the higher price points as they've opted for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

When did a twix start tasting like a snickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I found those cheap Macaroon and Mint Crisp chocolate bars in a shop a while ago. Use to love them and they still taste the same :)

Yes, SuperValu sell them at the tills. If I recall correctly, there was more coconut bits in the Macaroon bars but they still taste nom nom nom. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Cream eggs are horrible compared to the ones you got as a kid, the filling is gritty and course compared to the sweet and smooth filling in the past.

Lion bars also, not sure what they done, but they've ruined it.

Advertisement