Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High FG on ale

Options
  • 10-09-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I have a craft range "blonde larger" kit sitting in the fermentation vessel for 17 days and the final gravity reading is still high. Its 1.021 still. Temp is 18 degrees.

Would this be ok to bottle now are should I put the brew belt on it and leave it for another week??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The main thing to check for is that the gravity is steady. If you have a number of 1.021 readings several days apart then you're done and can bottle. There's no harm in leaving it another week or so, though a brew belt is more likely to do harm than good, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

What would cause the gravity to stay high? What effect would it have on the beer.??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

My best guess is just tired yeast. If you used the pack that came with the kit, it may not have been the best quality. Making beer from a kit uses so many shortcuts that you can't really complain if the beer doesn't turn out as planned. You might find this one sweeter, heavier and lower ABV than you wanted, but it'll still be beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

where are you located? you could try going to a HB shop and buying some USO5 yeast and lashing it in see if it reduces the gravity a bit more.

Or just bottle and drink it. Be careful though, if fermentation takes off again to drop that down to 1.016/14/12 in the bottles you'll have a bad time.

Advertisement