Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United 93 (9/11)

Options
  • 10-09-2017 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭

The movie of the tragic event has just finished on UTV.
    Really really sad. For those who need a refresher it is about the United 93 plane that crashed on September 11th 2001. One of the four planes that was hijacked but the only one not to crash in to it's intended target.

The passengers manged to make their way to the cockpit but sadly it crashed and all aboard were killed.

Scary stuff. Would be freaky to know that other planes were hijacked minutes before and used as essentially missiles while you are currently on a plane that's also been hijacked about to suffer the same fate.

So what would you do in such a situation?
    I think the passengers were right. You have information of the other planes so you know what these scum are about to do. Best to try and take the plane back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I'd try to keep the plane airborne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Id say they knew that they were doomed at that stage and were trying to avert another twin towers disaster with their plane

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose post 11/9 more people would be inclined to fight to the death in an airborne hijack situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

fepper wrote: »
    Id say they knew that they were doomed at that stage and were trying to avert another twin towers disaster with their plane

How would they know?

Any other plane with four hijackers with just pen knives would have been told to shut up and sit back down.

I suppose post 11/9 more people would be inclined to fight to the death in an airborne hijack situation.

There seemed to be a plane hijacking every week way before the 9/11 ,usually 1 or 2 hijackers with demands to free prisoners etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭weadick

I think they were just trying to survive. It's doubtful they were ever going to regain control of the plane but at least they were trying. Really harrowing ending.

I think family members were the only ones to ever hear the actual cockpit recording so it is hard to know how close they actually came to wrestling the controls from the hijackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The pilot looked a bit like Simon Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They should have thought outside the box..............

And done what every sensible Irish person would have done

3riC8-.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How would they know?

Any other plane with four hijackers with just pen knives would have been told to shut up and sit back down.
    The hijackers actually encouraged people on the flights to phone people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Here we go.

• Advertisement

Wasn't that plane heading for the white house and would it have been shot down as it approached Washington

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Flight 93 was a better film :)

Not a fan of Paul Greengrass and his handheld shaky cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wasn't that plane heading for the white house and would it have been shot down as it approached Washington

White House or the Capitol Building is what I've always read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'd fight to keep the plane airborne as well

branie2 wrote: »
    The chances of some passenger being able to fly and land that plane or any plane faced with a crisis would be very slim,must be a awful situation to be ever in

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The chances of some passenger being able to fly and land that plane or any plane faced with a crisis would be very slim,must be a awful situation to be ever in

In the modern plane you just press a button or 2 and the plane will land itself, no need for any fancy skills. Bad weather though would need someone capable at the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Airplane was pretty funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If the hijackers have killed the pilot and taken control you pretty much have to accept that you are dead. So since you're as good as dead you might as well use your last moments to try and stop the hijackers from crashing into anything other than the ocean or an empty field. If the passengers did manage to take over the plane I suppose maybe you could try to keep the plane airborne and perhaps someone on the ground could talk you through landing? The planes must be able to land themselves to a certain extent. I've been on flights where we landed in pitch dark thick fog hammering wind and rain. There's no way that was done manually when visibility is about 2 feet and the plane is moving at 150mph+ and you can't even see the lights on the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

Had the passengers done that (killed the hijackers and put the plane in autopilot), the plane would most likely have gone for several hours until it stalled since it had enough fuel for it's destination in San Francisco.

There was a pilot on board but he claimed he could only fly small planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think I'd try to nip any hijack situation in the bud in its infancy. I think that's really the best chance. Take one of them down and hope other passengers follow suit.

The last thing they'd expect or be prepared to deal with is people immediately standing up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Had the passengers done that (killed the hijackers and put the plane in autopilot), the plane would most likely have gone for several hours until it stalled since it had enough fuel for it's destination in San Francisco.

I'm a small airplane pilot. I'd have a crack at it. Not least because the other option is a crash. As my instructor would say, take-offs are optional. Landings are mandatory. Besides, the general principles are the same. Guy on the radio can help you find any necessary buttons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm a small airplane pilot. I'd have a crack at it. Not least because the other option is a crash. As my instructor would say, take-offs are optional. Landings are mandatory. Besides, the general principles are the same. Guy on the radio can help you find any necessary buttons.

Advertisement