Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid curve in case on of knitting

Options
  • 09-09-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I am new to knitting and I making a baby blanket were I knit a few strips and sew them together. But the cast on edge is curved and when I sew them together the blanket doesn't look straight. Any one know how to fix this or avoid this in future? Every stitch was done in garter stitch. I am going to put material at the back of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Did you block each square?

Is the yarn acrylic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Blocking the edge should straighten it out but it actually looks attractive as a regular scallop edge. Blocking, ie, pinning out to correct shape, dampening and allowing to dry before removing pins, will make edges straight but may not keep its shape in use and following laundry. Your knitting looks very even and with a good tension.
    In future you can use a different cast on method. Loads of helpful instructions on U tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Leopardprint

Delphinium wrote: »
    Blocking the edge should straighten it out but it actually looks attractive as a regular scallop edge. Blocking, ie, pinning out to correct shape, dampening and allowing to dry before removing pins, will make edges straight but may not keep its shape in use and following laundry. Your knitting looks very even and with a good tension.
    In future you can use a different cast on method. Loads of helpful instructions on U tube.

Thanks for the reply. I have most of the strips sewn together now. It's probably too late to try blocking now? Want to make more of these and I don't really mind if the first one goes a little wrong, just want to learn from it. I used the thumb method to cast on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Leopardprint

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Did you block each square?

Is the yarn acrylic?

Thanks for the reply. The wool is acrylic baby wool. I made a whole strip of squares rather than casting on and casting off each square. Havent blocked anything. Would it be too late now that I have sewn strips together?

Advertisement