Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Overseas Membership

  • 09-09-2017 7:51pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ joxer1988


    Hi lads,

    So I live in abroad now, but have kept an overseas membership with my old club. It's only about 200 euro, but I'm wondering is it worthwhile renewing for 2018... 

    My train of thought is so:

    I have a GUI card for when I come back for a couple of weeks next summer, can I get cheaper green-fees at some decent courses for being GUI? Won't really qualify for opens with the 3 round minimum... 
    Any other overseas benefits or is it just throwing away money?
    Cheers!


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    I'd have thought the point of overseas membership was to stay as a member of your club.

    If you see a GUI card just as a passport to cheap golf, you can do the sums for yourself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ joxer1988


    First Up wrote: »
    I'd have thought the point of overseas membership was to stay as a member of your club.

    If you see a GUI card just as a passport to cheap golf, you can do the sums for yourself.
    God forbid a lad trying to shave a few quid off the headline rate!
    Have a great day mate!! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭ fullstop


    joxer1988 wrote: »
    God forbid a lad trying to shave a few quid off the headline rate!
    Have a great day mate!! :)

    What do you want him to tell you?! Surely you can google green fees of some clubs and open comp fees and decide for yourself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ joxer1988


    Wouldn't be eligible for Opens with the 3 home round rule, so I was wondering if anyone had experience as an overseas GUI member getting a few quid off at the k-club etc.

    My thinking was if I only play 4 or 5 rounds in Ireland a year, I'd like to play some big courses, ideally not at the headline rate the Americans pay.

    Thanks for the help anyway!


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭ Senna


    What happens when you have a GUI card but haven't played in the 3 qualifying home comps. Will it not allow you to sign in on an away computer?

    I know many clubs where the computer is in the locker room and you pay in the shop, as long as you have you have a GUI card, I doubt they care if you don't swipe in.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    joxer1988 wrote:
    My thinking was if I only play 4 or 5 rounds in Ireland a year, I'd like to play some big courses, ideally not at the headline rate the Americans pay.

    Yeah, god forbid you would play your rounds in Ireland supporting the club that was good enough to give you cheap membership.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    First Up wrote: »
    Yeah, god forbid you would play your rounds in Ireland supporting the club that was good enough to give you cheap membership.
    Why is everyone getting their knickers in a knot over this?! Is it because it is Monday morning?!

    As for the above quote. Do you think his club are doing him a favour charging 200 quid to never have him on the course?! It is a win win for both club and player and the whole reasoning for overseas memberships.

    OP as far as Opens go you will be able to play with the GUI in most places as stated above. Just don't return a card if you have no handicap.

    I think you are asking if the top clubs have special rates for GUI cardholders. There is nowhere I know where this happens officially but you might get a small reduction in the clubhouse.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    eoghan104 wrote: »

    Do you think his club are doing him a favour charging 200 quid to never have him on the course?! It is a win win for both club and player and the whole reasoning for overseas memberships.

    No it is not. Overseas memberships are to enable people maintain a connection with a club, on the basis that they will play it when they are able.

    But if you think the distance membership, GUI card flogging scam is a win/win then we have different understandings of what golf club membership is about.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    First Up wrote: »
    No it is not. Overseas memberships are to enable people maintain a connection with a club, on the basis that they will play it when they are able.

    But if you think the distance membership, GUI card flogging scam is a win/win then we have different understandings of what golf club membership is about.
    First of all yes that is the case that the membership is there to keep a connection with the club. What I can't understand is why you think it is the club doing the person a favour?! It is €200 to the club for nothing. As the OP stated he will not be playing there. For people that do they have very limited playing access.

    So.... for the player they get to keep connection with club and a GUI card = win, the club get 200 quid for a member that will not use facilities or take up space on timesheets =win.

    How can you disagree with that?!

    As far as you mentioning "distance" memberships that is an entirely different topic so I don't see why you brought it up?


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    eoghan104 wrote: »

    As far as you mentioning "distance" memberships that is an entirely different topic so I don't see why you brought it up?

    Because it operates on exactly the same principle. Overseas membership is a form of distance membership. The club is giving the o/s member playing privileges at a greatly reduced rate. The least he can do is behave like a member when he is in the country. If he doesn't, he is just treating it as a cheap GUI card, same as the distance member scammers.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    First Up wrote: »
    Because it operates on exactly the same principle. Overseas membership is a form of distance membership. The club is giving the o/s member playing privileges at a greatly reduced rate. The least he can do is behave like a member when he is in the country. If he doesn't, he is just treating it as a cheap GUI card, same as the distance member scammers.
    No it is not the same in the case of overseas membership in my opinion. In that case the person is living the vast majority of time outside of Ireland so therfore plays little if any golf in GUI comps, for a distance membership the person is using it just to get a handicap and play all over the place in most cases. I agree with you that system is bad and needs to be looked at.

    What does "The least he can do is behave like a member" mean? You say that as if members owe the clubs something? Are you saying then that a club would be annoyed about 100 full members never playing golf or using the facilities? It is the same logic, and it's mental.


  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ Raisins


    First Up wrote: »
    Because it operates on exactly the same principle. Overseas membership is a form of distance membership. The club is giving the o/s member playing privileges at a greatly reduced rate. The least he can do is behave like a member when he is in the country. If he doesn't, he is just treating it as a cheap GUI card, same as the distance member scammers.

    What do you mean behave like a member when he's in the country? How is a distance member supposed to behave? What do you want him to run straight from the airport to the golf club to pour tea because they were so generous to allow him to pay €200 for membership he'll never use?

    Seems like you have an enormous chip on your shoulder over distance membership. The OP is not not some Open comp bandit he's already said he won't get 3 qualifying cards in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    eoghan104 wrote:
    What does "The least he can do is behave like a member" mean? You say that as if members owe the clubs something? Are you saying then that a club would be annoyed about 100 full members never playing golf or using the facilities? It is the same logic, and it's mental.

    Yes, if he is a member it would be nice if he played at least some of his golf in Ireland there instead of just using the membership they gave him to try to squeeze discounts out of other courses.

    He might even buy a Mars bar in the pro shop or a coffee in the bar.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    First Up wrote: »
    Yes, if he is a member it would be nice if he played at least some of his golf in Ireland there instead of just using the membership they gave him to try to squeeze discounts out of other courses.

    He might even buy a Mars bar in the pro shop or a coffee in the bar.
    "using the membership they gave him"... it is €200 and he doesn't cost the club anything?!

    I was waiting for the "he can spend money in the bar and restaurant" argument. You know most clubs operate bars at a loss yeah? So in that case staying away is more "member like behavior".


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭ First Up


    Raisins wrote:
    What do you mean behave like a member when he's in the country? How is a distance member supposed to behave? What do you want him to run straight from the airport to the golf club to pour tea because they were so generous to allow him to pay €200 for membership he'll never use?

    He plans to use his "membership" to play elsewhere.

    Some member.


  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ joxer1988


    Bizarre...

    Anyway, thanks for the advice lads. I'll be renewing my overseas membership and waving my GUI card at every club pro in the country this Christmas demanding guest fee rates!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    Don't forget to send the club a Christmas card for being so generous.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CoachKK76


    Are there clubs that do not require a sponsor for an overseas membership application? Interested in counties: Roscommon, Galway, Sligo and Donegal.

    Would like to start process at start of 2022.



  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CoachKK76


    Bumping this question. Looking to travel to Ireland mid-year. Can I get a membership long distance so I can play upon arrival?



  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CoachKK76


    Family is from County Roscommon. So I would start looking around there. But open to suggestions.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭ willabur


    are you moving to Ireland or just planning a visit. If its the latter then you don't need a membership to play. Just rock up and pay your green fees.



Advertisement