Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to enforce traffic laws

Options
  • 09-09-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

I don't think there is anybody in the country that doesn't agree that traffic laws in this country are broken regularly. The main problem as I see it is lack of enforcement, people do it there are no consequences so they do it again. Increasing fines and punishment don't make much difference if people don't think or feel they won't get caught.
    No matter how you deal with roads you become bias in your perception and this also affects your own decisions. Ultimately it just gets worse and worse.

I think the gardai should just pick days at random and enforce all traffic rules on everyone. Suddenly everybody is aware that the laws are there and will be enforced but they don't know when. I suddenly would change the consequences of peoples' action naturally discouraging the behaviour. Less people do something the less people join in the you have compliance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nice try there Garda commissioner.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's not today or yesterday that my father (who died in 1970) said "We have great laws in this country; we just don't enforce them"
    Nothing has changed, except we have more laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I don't think there is anybody in the country that doesn't agree that traffic laws in this country are broken regularly. The main problem as I see it is lack of enforcement, people do it there are no consequences so they do it again. Increasing fines and punishment don't make much difference if people don't think or feel they won't get caught.
    No matter how you deal with roads you become bias in your perception and this also affects your own decisions. Ultimately it just gets worse and worse.

I think the gardai should just pick days at random and enforce all traffic rules on everyone. Suddenly everybody is aware that the laws are there and will be enforced but they don't know when. I suddenly would change the consequences of peoples' action naturally discouraging the behaviour. Less people do something the less people join in the you have compliance.

Start with a few red light cameras.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Keep solicitors out of court for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

In Ireland traffic laws only apply to other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Cameras everywhere. And people abiding by the laws (I can but dream) would be easier than enforcement. There aren't that many Gardai out there to be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well I suppose fixed speed camera or average speed cameras along main routes would reduce speeding but I think speed limits/point system needs to be reviewed in generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Well I suppose fixed speed camera or average speed cameras along main routes would reduce speeding but I think speed limits/point system needs to be reviewed in generally.

The problems with equipment is people hate them and say it is a money making exercise and would have no effect on pedestrians nor cyclist. It would be seen as an "attack on motorists". The objective is for all to adhere to to the rules.

Then you have the locations are predictable.

I think technology should be used. Temporary cameras placed around areas entering the city and then pull them over as they join together later in traffic with a car parking facility or even detour. Cyclists caught and pedestrians. Can even start using fake cameras as the objective is to fear being caught randomly so it isn't worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

They should take the roads in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Your Face wrote: »
    They should take the roads in.

Looks like rain there ted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Great thread. Asking the Gardai to enforce traffic legislation. Can ye imagine those billions of convictions for speed, drink etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

We could solve this problem if everyone just walked. In emergency situations people could use a donkey and cart.

We could solve this problem if everyone just walked. In emergency situations people could use a donkey and cart.

Pedestrians are part of who need to be fined. No exclusions that is the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bluewizard

Just this morning I was driving through a junction in my estate, myself having the right of way - the other driver (a woman in her 60's) having a big YIELD sign in addition to road markings. Obviously she was driving straight on with no intention of letting me through. When eventually she stopped in order to avoid collision she started beeping at me and going all sorts of crazy :D

What a bloody tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

One way to reduce the aggregate speed on the roads would be to get a JCB to drive full speed, shovel up and contra flow in the overtake lane of the M50.

You need a deterent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Arrest people who 'accidentally' dent or scratch other people cars because they are used happy with the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing I would do would be introduce a three month driving ban for people caught on their phone for the first offence and then then might actually be afraid of getting caught nobody is afraid of getting three points.

• Site Banned Posts: 103 ✭✭UncleAlbert00

One thing I would do would be introduce a three month driving ban for people caught on their phone for the first offence and then then might actually be afraid of getting caught nobody is afraid of getting three points.
    Except Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Except Liverpool.

Badum!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The problems with equipment is people hate them and say it is a money making exercise and would have no effect on pedestrians nor cyclist. It would be seen as an "attack on motorists". The objective is for all to adhere to to the rules.

Then you have the locations are predictable.

I think technology should be used. Temporary cameras placed around areas entering the city and then pull them over as they join together later in traffic with a car parking facility or even detour. Cyclists caught and pedestrians. Can even start using fake cameras as the objective is to fear being caught randomly so it isn't worth the risk.

I'm not sure I've ever in my life met a speeding pedestrian.
    Also, the lack of license plates on them makes it kind of hard to fine them, even if you do have the evidence to show they were going above the limit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I think that someone else as well as the Gardaí should be given authority to enforce road traffic law.

The Gardai for whatever reason, bigger fish to fry, too busy, don't see it as a priority or whatever, don't enforce the law in the case of minor road traffic offences.

If some other agency, the RSA possibly, were given the power and resources to enforce the road traffic act then mabey people would be more inclined to educate themselves and comply with the rules.

I'm not suggesting having them chasing around with blue lights on pulling people in for minor transgressions but a more passive approach.

A small fleet of cars/vans fitted with cameras and some discreet cameras that can be moved around to watch junction boxes, bus lanes etc.

If you stop in a box a picture and a €50 fine land in the post a few days later. If you get a second one for the same offence within a fixed period, two or three years the fine doubles. The same for driving in active bus lanes, failing to indicate or wrong indicator on roundabouts, lane abuse, passing cyclists too close etc. Irritating fines for the small stuff and fine and points for the more serious offences.

It wouldn't take too long for people to cop on and drive in the correct lane, stop before the stop line don't blow the red light etc. Things that are ignored by the Gardai every day.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Runs away to put on helmet and flame proofs :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've ever in my life met a speeding pedestrian.
    Also, the lack of license plates on them makes it kind of hard to fine them, even if you do have the evidence to show they were going above the limit...

Where did I say anything about a speeding pedestrian? Pedestrians walking out into traffic is a problem particularly to cyclists.

You can stop a person and fine them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

its simple, the extra eyes are already out there. simply allow points and fines to be issued based on cctv/dashcam footage. when that starts happening no one will know if they are getting caught so they are less likely to do stupid things. take a look at the dash cam thread in motors and count the fines this would generate.

Also, time to start fining people who cross the road at dangerous locations, we have all seen idiots cross a few feet from traffic lights rather than walk up and hit the button, or those who push their pram out from between parked cars right into the roadway without looking, time for on the spot fines for this stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...and the rules appear to be rigidly adhered to over there compared to Ireland.

Motorways have 100,80 and 60 kph limits approaching tunnels and junctions in urban areas and they are obeyed. Roundabouts and pedestrian crossings are heeded by traffic so much that pedestrians will simply walk out in front of traffic safe in the knowledge that the cars will stop for them nearly all the time.

Speed limits of 20 and 30 kph are so common in built up areas and are followed by everybody, including taxis, police cars etc... who do not always follow them here.

I was on the main urban road, Carretera 340 from Nerja to Malaga and its 50 kph all the way with minor bursts of 60 kph between towns, all obeyed by the vast majority of motorists.

I know Nerja is quieter than most Costa del Sol resorts but I was very impressed with the general behaviour and apparent competence of the Spanish motoring public.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One genius in a van collected 9 points in an hour and a half on the new Port Tunnel Average Speed Cameras.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

doolox wrote: »
    ...and the rules appear to be rigidly adhered to over there compared to Ireland..
    In Italy everyone ignores speed limits, but you could be driving on a near empty dual carriage way in the middle of the night and everyone will indicate, pull out , overtake , indicate and pull in again.

Over here people are afraid to drive in the inside lane. So the hundreds of millions spent on upgrading two lane motorways to three lane ones was a complete waste of time and resources.

My suggestion is that we fine the people who hog the middle lane when the left lane is empty , by enough to pay for the unused third lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Automation. We need to design away that whole chimp-controlling-a-ton-of-fast-moving-metal thing. Us primates, collectively, aren't cut-out for that shit.

The solution to people parking in handicapped spaces is to make them eligible.

Advertisement