Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus arrivals times from US

Options
  • 09-09-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭

Living close to Dublin Airport and with new member of the Shedite family, I'm regularly awake in the middle of the night hearing the planes. I've started watching FlightRadar24 to see where they are coming from (nighttime feeds are boring!) and have noticed a bit of a pattern.

Basically all the Are Lingus ones come in in a half hour period at 5am, and then the US airlines start at 6.30. For example, tonight.....
    05:00 Boston Aer Lingus
    05:05 Newark Aer Lingus
    05:10 New York Aer Lingus
    05:15 Hartford Aer Lingus
    05:15 Chicago Aer Lingus
    05:20 Washington Aer Lingus
    05:30 Toronto Aer Lingus

06:35 Toronto Air Canada
    06:45 Charlotte American Airlines
    06:50 New York American Airlines
    07:05 Newark United Airlines
    07:10 St. Johns Westjet
    07:30 Chicago United Airlines

Is there any rationale for it or is it just a coincidence? Would have thought for logistics AL would prefer to have them scattered a bit. Or is it seen as a benefit to be able to be over so early?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The benefit for EI doing this is to offer as many Americans as possible connecting flights to Europe and the UK, which you'll notice being to depart mainly from 6/6:30 onwards. 
    From 6:30am EI offer flights to Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Brussels, Berlin, Hamburg, Paris, Dusseldorf, Milan, London, Aberdeen, Frankfurt, Munich, Naples, Venice, Lisbon etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

It's a bit of an eye opener alright to see how many people on these flights are not visiting ireland at all and heading straight to the transfer area.

places like boston are not very well connected by direct flights to European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

"Basically all the Are Lingus ones come in in a half hour period at 5am,"

There is a second wave of US arrivals later on in the day, the second daily flights from JFK, BOS and ORD and also arrivals from LAX, SFO, MCO and MIA

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Don't forget the threevor four wide body cargo jet arrivals
    Usually in before EI

DHL FedEx Maersk among others, quite noisy jets as older aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Plus Ethiopian have several arrivals early am to refuel

What could be making things worse is very early morning the shorter runway 16/34 may be in use to maintenance on the primary 10/28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I also have a newborn at home, and live under the approach for 16. Its fun sitting up at 4am feeding the little fella and seeing the cargo A300 & 767 lit up like Christmas trees roaring overhead... personally I love it, but I'm an aviation enthusiast to naturally I would haha

Advertisement