Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing Kitchen Appliances

Options
  • 09-09-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All.

Bought a house, 2nd hand. kitchen needs to be completely re-done.. First time buyer, so purchasing everything new.New kitchen and all appliances..

Is there savings to be had up northern Ireland v's southern? Given i`ll be purchasing everything about 8/9 large items from washing machine, dryer, double oven, fridge, extractor. etc. The price sterling against euro etc.. The UK with the market size, has better prices - Is this also thru for NI ?

Any other thoughts advice, would be much appreciated.. I had hoped that some sort of package existed from manufacturers / retailers to buy full kitchen appliances packages.. But this does not seem to be the case..

From what I read online sept / oct is best to buy, all items with exception of refidgerator as new models released in sept each year and fridges are spring.. So "older" / last years models are reduced -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

Have you considered buying your kitchen from IKEA? We got our kitchen there and appliances. Most of the appliances have a 5yr warranty on them. Our dishwasher broke down in year 4, but IKEA are providing a replacement as the old one can't be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Conn2012

I had a look at their website.. I thought kitchens elsewhere looked better and some included installation.. and their appliances - found cheaper elsewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Conn2012 wrote: »
    .. and their appliances - found cheaper elsewhere..

what brand(s) of appliances did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭bren2001

I went out to Baize House in Finglas and got discount stuff there (hob, extractor, dishwasher and oven). I know a few people who've gone out to him, any problems have been sorted instantly.

coylemj wrote: »
    what brand(s) of appliances did you buy?

not yet bought, more looking prices.. But looks like combination samsung, whirlpool, hoover..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You might get a saving in NI, but when you add delivery cost and hassle with any warranty (esp after brexit) there's not much in it.

UK has been running consumer price inflation at 3%-5% (different to overall inflation which runs at 2%-3%) in the last couple of years. Here its been near to zero.

As for new models etc - that's more marketing gimmickery than any innovation.

See what you need. Is it a long term home or some place you may move from in 5 years.

How many in the household - how much use will the appliances get and what features are you looking for (extra efficiency, time delay programmes etc).

If older models and little scratches don't matter, then there are places like Baize House as mentioned above - all items have full manufacturer's warranty - will be a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

found cheaper elsewhere..

If price is your only consideration, you'll undoubtedly get what you pay for but there's no harm in looking for a decent brand at a bargain price. :-)

I have a couple of IKEA appliances....they're made by Whirlpool and/or Electrolux which are both very well known and reputable brands.

You could do worse than visit the IKEA showroom...if you're at all handy, their units are easy enough to assemble...once you get the first one done, you'll fly the rest. I bought my kitchen from IKEA in Belfast (before Dublin opened) and assembled all of the units myself. The first unit took about 2 hours, the last took about 30 minutes....it's all a question of organising the tools and components...bit of a knack to it.

exaisle wrote: »
    If price is your only consideration, you'll undoubtedly get what you pay for but there's no harm in looking for a decent brand at a bargain price. :-)

I have a couple of IKEA appliances....they're made by Whirlpool and/or Electrolux which are both very well known and reputable brands.

You could do worse than visit the IKEA showroom...if you're at all handy, their units are easy enough to assemble...once you get the first one done, you'll fly the rest.

I wouldn't say price is the only consideration, I honestly would be more interested in quality, efficiency and a brand / warranty I knew.. Some of the ikea brands on site, i couldn't even pronounce let alone heard of.. and the price isn't exactly cheap, also i can find more choice from other dealers currys, did, harvey norm either online or in store. For example ikea has only 1 washing machine on their site 500eur.. 300ltr fridge freezers on their site 900eur, where other retailers are offering brand name american fridges/freezers at this amount..

Do Ikea just not put everything on website ?

CeilingFly wrote: »

See what you need. Is it a long term home or some place you may move from in 5 years.

How many in the household - how much use will the appliances get and what features are you looking for (extra efficiency, time delay programmes etc)./QUOTE]

I meant as in when new models come out, they reduce previous years now "older models" and their could be some bargains.

For us right now, their is two.. And we are looking long-term.. So for me warranty, efficiency, quality - No prob with spending extra bucks for quality, but like to explore all options too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I wouldn't say price is the only consideration, I honestly would be more interested in quality, efficiency and a brand / warranty I knew.. Some of the ikea brands on site, i couldn't even pronounce let alone heard of.. and the price isn't exactly cheap, also i can find more choice from other dealers currys, did, harvey norm either online or in store. For example ikea has only 1 washing machine on their site 500eur.. 300ltr fridge freezers on their site 900eur, where other retailers are offering brand name american fridges/freezers at this amount..

Do Ikea just not put everything on website ?

A lot of the IKEA names aren't the actual manufacturer's, they're just IKEA's own Swedish names. If you visit the store, you'll see who the manufacturers are, and they tend to be quite reputable.
    Also, their after-sales service is, (in my opinion and from my experience) pretty good too.
    Probably worth a visit to the store.

http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/every-ikea-dishwasher-range-oven-cooktop-refrigerator-microwave-reviewed

This might be worth a read too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

CeilingFly wrote: »

How many in the household - how much use will the appliances get and what features are you looking for (extra efficiency, time delay programmes etc)./QUOTE]

I meant as in when new models come out, they reduce previous years now "older models" and their could be some bargains.

For us right now, their is two.. And we are looking long-term.. So for me warranty, efficiency, quality - No prob with spending extra bucks for quality, but like to explore all options too..
    Then I'd go local.

DID are probably strongest on service. Power city would be cheapest. Currys are poor on service and usually overpriced. Harvey Norman in between.

Personally I'd go to DID - they'd be best on advice on the items best suited to your circumstances.

Eg - if you have a utility room you'll be less interested in how it looks and probably noise level.

If kitchen is next to lounge, then noise level of dishwasher and washing machine would be very important to me.

I was in the same situation a few years ago.

Shop around first. Decide which brand/model you want. I believe in the "buy cheap-buy twice" philosophy. So look at brands like Miele, Bosch, Siemens.

Price them up the North too.
    Then do the rounds of the local stores. Tell them that you will buy all appliances there if the price is right. Tell them to price match (even knock a small amount extra off :) )with other stores.

I bought all our appliances in Soundstore. You wouldnt believe the price we paid for a Rangemaster with them compared to the advertised price!!

Dont be afraid to haggle. Dont be afraid to walk away if they wont offer you a deal that you are happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

I was up North on Saturday. I priced 4 appliances up there and was quoted £1240/€1390 with free delivery to Dublin. I then did the rounds in DID, Powercity and Harveys yesterday. They all came in about €1640ish across the 3 stores. As far as I could tell Harveys just went onto DIDs/Powercitys website and just price matched! No discounts or anything like that.

Advertisement