Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox One Game Capture

Options
  • 09-09-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi

I'm trying to help my nephew, he's 9 and obsessed with YouTube Channels that show players playing games and commenting on their gameplay. He wants to do the same and thinks it should be easy. I have read a bit about it and think its not as easy as he says.

I know there is a feature on the Xbox One that lets you record up to 5 minutes of gameplay but you cant comment on the game at the same time. My question is do I need some other hardware connected to the Xbox in order to do this. I have seen capture cards and stuff but I think they are for PC's not sure about XBox.

Oh his parents wont allow him to have Xbox Gold Live, don't know if he would need this?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, you'd need a capture card to do it properly, here's what a quick google found.

He doesn't need Gold for it, but it is recommended, as he's missing out on a fair bit otherwise, not to mention four free games a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

Thanks for the info.

So it seems if I'm understanding it right that the Xbox is linked up to a PC for most of the cards? I don't think he would be bothered about Streaming just capturing and commenting over the game play. I'll check out some of the cards you mentioned on YouTube for reviews, I'll probably understand it a bit more.

My nephew has a Microsoft Surface 3, not sure what the specs are for it but looks like the best option might be Elgato Game Capture HD. It doesn't need a high spec'd laptop and it seems like it has everything he'd want to use. Littlewoods.ie have them for €170, then he'd need a Mic aswell, costly hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

My daughter does this using the Mixer app on the Xbox.
    It allows you to record gameplay whilst also recording the mic.

Then go to the Mixer website on a PC, go to the VODs section and download the capture.(Prior to this, you'll need to change a setting on the Mixer site to ensure that the VODs/Broadcasts are saved).

Then, once downloaded, you can upload to YouTube.

WarpAsylum wrote: »

Then go to the Mixer website on a PC, go to the VODs section and download the capture.(Prior to this, you'll need to change a setting on the Mixer site to ensure that the VODs/Broadcasts are saved).

Wow, I must have a look at that, certainly would be a lot cheaper and seen as I would have been buying the capture card for him, save me money :)

Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

WarpAsylum wrote: »

Great tip! When you are recording to mixer do
    you have to live stream or is there an offline option?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can you stream to Mixer without XBL Gold?

I haven't checked it out yet, but have been reading about it.
    It doesn't look like you need XBox Live Gold to stream. I also don't think you can record without live streaming.
    The one problem my nephew might have is their broadband is crap so it might not work properly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sevenie wrote: »
    I haven't checked it out yet, but have been reading about it.
    It doesn't look like you need XBox Live Gold to stream. I also don't think you can record without live streaming.
    The one problem my nephew might have is their broadband is crap so it might not work properly.

Yeah you would need to be on fibre to the cabinet at a minimum as it requires a pretty good upload speed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just a quick update on this Sevenie, there's a new update coming out in a month or two that will allow the Xbox to record directly to an external hard drive, for up to one hour. You can then attach the drive to a computer to get the file easily.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just a quick update on this Sevenie, there's a new update coming out in a month or two that will allow the Xbox to record directly to an external hard drive, for up to one hour. You can then attach the drive to a computer to get the file easily.

Oh thats cool. I wonder if they have any notion of been able to do commentary on it aswell.

Thanks for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Oh thats cool. I wonder if they have any notion of been able to do commentary on it aswell.

Thanks for the update.

If your nephew wants to add commentary on top of the video after it's been recorded, I'm pretty sure this can be done in the Upload Studio app on the Xbox.

Yeah I saw that, unfortunately he cant get that to work, it keeps telling him to restart xbox to add voice.
    Anyway it would prefer to comment on the game as he plays it, get more of a genuine feel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Yeah I saw that, unfortunately he cant get that to work, it keeps telling him to restart xbox to add voice.
    Anyway it would prefer to comment on the game as he plays it, get more of a genuine feel for it.

Could he not stream it live to Twitch and then export the vod to YouTube after.
    There would be no editing though, just the live stream.

I've haven't streamed on Xbox with Twitch yet but that's how I've done it on PS4.

I was saying earlier that he has a fairly bad broadband connection so don't think it would stream very well. Even my broadband isn't great even though fibre is in my area, it hasn't reached me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DeiseViking

Have you used Twitchtv? Download it on your phone and Xbox. You can broadcast live and people can chat to you on the phone app. Pretty easy to set up and free!

You can saved the videos but you need go into the settings for it (a google will explain how to do it!)

Hope that helps! :)

Have you used Twitchtv? Download it on your phone and Xbox. You can broadcast live and people can chat to you on the phone app. Pretty easy to set up and free!

You can saved the videos but you need go into the settings for it (a google will explain how to do it!)

Hope that helps! :)

But do you have to broadcast live, again with poor broadband it would be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭EMPunk

He could easily use mixer or twitch apps on the xbox but would need a gold account i assume

Advertisement