Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good attic ladder that's not Stira

Options
  • 08-09-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

We bought a house six months ago and the (old) attic ladder is already banjaxed. I'm wondering where to get a good replacement?

Stira is quite pricy - I would prefer to buy a stairs in a hardware store and have our handyman install it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a Woodies or Homebase one last for five or ten years at least? I'd prefer not to pay more than 250 quid for ladder plus installation.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I fitted an attic ladder in our own house nearly 20 years ago, it was made by this company:
    https://www.dolle.eu/

Think I paid £100 (punt) for it at the time; I can't fault it and it has stood up to regular use. The few "Stira" branded attic ladders I've seen intalled seemed very light and overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I used these about 2 years ago. very professional
    http://www.atticstairs.ie/contact

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I fitted one from woodies around 10 years ago, it cost around €100, gets used 3-4 times a week and is still going strong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I put in a woodies one 10 years ago and it's still good as new.

Probably use it once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Woodies used to do a few different quality attic stairs. The better ones had a rubber seal so it was air tight when closed.
    As far as I remember the most expensive they had was around 300 Euro so most will be in your price bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Installed a Minka stair ladder (made in Austria) which I got for about €180 from Stakelums in Thurles.

Really pleased with it, the wooden folding ladder is much more solid than anything I've used before, and the hatch is very well sealed and has 70mm insulation built in (u-value 0.6)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Homebase have a few different ones. Storage like one is about €130 but they have cheaper metal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Thanks guys 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How difficult are these to install? The current access hatch is over the stairwell and not much use (couldn't even fit the christmas tree through it), have been thinking of putting one in over the landing instead and curious as to whether it's a job I could DIY or would I need to pay a chippy to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sleepy wrote:
    How difficult are these to install? The current access hatch is over the stairwell and not much use (couldn't even fit the christmas tree through it), have been thinking of putting one in over the landing instead and curious as to whether it's a job I could DIY or would I need to pay a chippy to do it?

It depends on your diy skills. You also need to know what you are doing when you are cutting any joists.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I fitted a Fakro attic ladder in mine. Much better quality than a Stira.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Thanks a mill guys

Advertisement