Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage refund

Options
  • 08-09-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

I bought 2 items off HMV. The first was a box set for 60 euro and 7 euro postage. I also decided to pick up a dvd I wanted to see as it was only 6 euro and I was already paying the postage.

2 days later I got an email saying the box set was cancelled but they had dispatched the single DVD for 13 euro ( 6 E + 7E postage). I can get the DVD for 7 or 8 euro anywhere, I wanted to get the box set and the single item was just an afterthought which is not worth 13 euro.

Does anyone know if I am entitled to a full refund??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What's the postage cost if just buying the 1 DVD ? If €6, then you have very little case for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would contact them ASAP and tell them, you might be able to try and refuse accepting it if possible, so it would get sent back with no postage fees back.

I would have expected them to have consulted you first if they cannot fulfill your full order. If this was some place with "free" postage (i.e. post included on every item) then it would not be as bad. But the dogs on the street know that people often buy several items in the same order to justify the postage -and on the basis that the postage is not increasing.

They might have covered in in the T&Cs though, but to me its an obviously dodgy/sneaky practice, and I would definitely be exposing their policy wherever I could, to warn others. I would be furious.

The postage is more than the price of the item.

Srameen is saying you have no case, and has a thank, others might too, but I wonder if they would draw the line somewhere.

Many will pay over the odds for postage to get things quick, e.g. I might pay for overnight delivery on a expensive bicycle component, imagine them cancelling the 300euro component but still charging 100euro overnight delivery for a 1euro puncture repair kit I got thrown in. Would people still think there is "very little case for a refund" -I guess some will, as we are now in the "consumer issues zone" -expect some very abrupt & curt comments, and absolutely zero empathy/sympathy, it's comical at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Thanks for the answers. The way I see it is as follows
    I dont care what the postage was for 1 item,
    my contract was for both items. I didn't agree to pay 7 euro postage costs for 1 item. They can write whatever they want in the terms and conditions but consumer law would have precedence I think . So really I'm wondering what the consumer protection position is.

Have you emailed them yet? I would do so immediately. It is common enough for cancelled or incorrect orders, that the item arrives and you refuse it and it gets sent back with far less hassle. I have had amazon tell me to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You are entitled to change your mind and send back the dvd for a refund but you'll have to pay the postage.
    There's no rule about the delivery charges that I can find so it's probably in the t&c's.

Perhaps if you contact them and explain it nicely rather than going all guns blazing they may be happy to sort it out for you as a goodwill gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

rubadub wrote: »
    It is common enough for cancelled or incorrect orders, that the item arrives and you refuse it and it gets sent back with far less hassle.

You would still be liable for the shipping costs, since the item was shipped.

I can't see any consumer law that would entitle the OP to a refund of shipping costs.

Paulw wrote: »
    You would still be liable for the shipping costs, since the item was shipped.
    They may take on the cost of the postage themselves, even if not legally obliged to. It is very poor form what they did, could possibly be a mistake that they did not contact him. If I was selling DVDs online I certainly would have contacted him.
    You are entitled to change your mind and send back the dvd for a refund but you'll have to pay the postage.
    this is why I am suggesting refusing at the door, so there is not another round of postage to be paid. This would obviously not be worth his while though -this is the type of scam you see ebay sellers using.

Another option for them is that maybe the boxset will be available again, and could send it to him with the postage discounted off. Or a voucher or something.
    Paulw wrote: »
    I can't see any consumer law that would entitle the OP to a refund of shipping costs.
    I am not sure of the laws, but they did not send the consignment that he ordered. I am not sure if the law differentiates about partial orders.

rubadub wrote: »
    They may take on the cost of the postage themselves, even if not legally obliged to. It is very poor form what they did, could possibly be a mistake that they did not contact him. If I was selling DVDs online I certainly would have contacted him.

this is why I am suggesting refusing at the door, so there is not another round of postage to be paid. This would obviously not be worth his while though -this is the type of scam you see ebay sellers using.

Another option for them is that maybe the boxset will be available again, and could send it to him with the postage discounted off. Or a voucher or something.

I am not sure of the laws, but they did not send the consignment that he ordered. I am not sure if the law differentiates about partial orders.

There's no law about sending the full order, it'll be covered in the t&c's as all these things are.

Op could contact them and ask they send on the rest of his order when it arrives which seems to be the best scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Op

when you placed this order, you agreed to the T&C's. do you accept that?

This puts your request into the 'change of mind' category. the T&C's are very clear
    Postage - We will refund all reasonable postage charges for faulty items. Any unwanted items returned to us will be returned at your expense.

But from a customer care viewpoint you have a good case. i understand why you are dissatisfied and think you should raise it with their customer services team, and escalate to a manager if you dont get joy.

Your question was what are you entitled to, - return at your expense.
    But as a customer i would be looked for credit or voucher for the cost of postage as a goodwill gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The retailer has changed the order and so in my opinion the OP should be able to just cancel the order then.

What if someone ordered a table and 6 chairs, matching but separate items, then the retailer only sent table and 1 chair, because they cancelled the other 5, should the consumer in that case be expected to accept the changed order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Postage - We will refund all reasonable postage charges for faulty items.

Not unheard of for a cover to be cracked or DVD to be scratched. That'd be eh, convenient.

Hoboo wrote: »

Not unheard of for a cover to be cracked or DVD to be scratched. That'd be eh, convenient.

Once the case is opened they won't accept it.

Theres always one who suggests fraud though...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hoboo wrote: »

Do not suggest committing fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

So I checked the website and lo and behold the original box set is still available...... no updates from HMV as to delivery and the only phone number is an 1890 which I cannot call off my work phone.

I hope they will send on the original box set.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    So I checked the website and lo and behold the original box set is still available...... no updates from HMV as to delivery and the only phone number is an 1890 which I cannot call off my work phone.

I hope they will send on the original box set.

Email them? Have you been refunded for it?

Advertisement