Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surname Prefix

Options
  • 08-09-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a question regarding prefixes for surnames as gaelige. (excuse the lack of fadas in this post)

I always thought that 'Ui' was used for married women but a guy i know spells his surname Ui Ceallaigh when I have only ever saw it spelled O'Ceallaigh for men? Although I think O'Neill is Ui Neill?! (why is this?)

Just wondering why the majority of men on google use the prefix 'O'' and not 'Ui' or 'Ua' and how might one know what prefix they are supposed to use?

I'm very confused!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It should be Ó (or Ua for an old-fashioned approach). Also, if writing in Irish with a fada over the O (i.e Ó) then you don't put in the apostrophe. Therefore Ó Ceallaigh.

Uí is used for the genitive case.

For example, Máirtín Ó Direáin. His poetry would be "filíocht Mháirtín Uí Dhireáin".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

It should be Ó (or Ua for an old-fashioned approach). Also, if writing in Irish with a fada over the O (i.e Ó) then you don't put in the apostrophe. Therefore Ó Ceallaigh.

Uí is used for the genitive case.

For example, Máirtín Ó Direáin. His poetry would be "filíocht Mháirtín Uí Dhireáin".

Also for the vocative case!

A Mháirtín Uí Dhireáin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Historically as well terms such as Uí Néill are not surnames but dynastical names. In this case due to Uí been historically the nominative plural of Ua

So for example:
    Uí Néill = dynastical grouping consisting of Northern and Southern Branches, claiming descent from Niall Noígiallach (d. 405/455)
    Ua Néill (Ó Néill) = O'Neill surname, surname of the Cenél nEogain of the Northern Uí Néill -- descending from Níall Glúndub (d.919)

Advertisement