Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Directional Antenna to Choose Cell Tower

Options
  • 07-09-2017 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I need some advice on whether a directional antenna could help me with a 4G problem I'm having with Vodafone. Basically the cell tower that my mobile broadband connects to either seems to have changed or the cell performance seems to have degraded. Right now I'm getting a download speed of 1.1 mbps and an upload of about 12 mbps (lets call this 'tower A'). The other tower (tower 'B') within range gives must faster speeds of about 65 mbps download. However tower B's signal strength is about 5 to 10 db less than tower A.

My question is - if I hook up a 4G directional antenna to the router and point it towards tower B can I get the router to lock onto it instead? Or is there another solution for this?

Thanks,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Here's some pictures from our place 10 years ago trying to force a connection to the newly upgraded 3G mast.
    Flickr album 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

niallb wrote: »
    Here's some pictures from our place 10 years ago trying to force a connection to the newly upgraded 3G mast.
    Flickr album 3G

did it work though . ?
    im in a similar situation .

John mac wrote: »
    niallb wrote: »
    did it work though . ?
    im in a similar situation .
    Yes.
    That's why I focussed one of the pictures showing the blue light on the modem. It would have been green for 2G.

Don't try it now as a solution though.
    4G antennas with useful gain are available for under €100.
    What I'm suggesting is blocking off one cell using a steel plate in the way to see if the OP can get a better 4G signal from the other cell.
    If this experiment suggests it's possible, then buying a directional 4g antenna and aiming it at the preferred mast has a very good chance of working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Can be tricky about getting a router to lock onto a certain mast as it can drift to either a week signal and a strong signal .

Can be tricky having a cr@p internet connection for years too.
    When masts around here get adjusted it can take me days to find the new sweet spot where I get the best possible connection. Once I do though, it can be fairly stable for months. I always find out exactly what direction the mast I want to connect to is in, and that helps in blocking off unwanted signals, particularly if they're nearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 dkeeley

Thanks all. I think I'm going to order a high gain YAGI antenna for 4G. Seems I can get one for under €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In a case like yours any small change should be enough to push you the 6-8dB you need to induce the change. Even an old TV antenna would do I'd wager.

Ya would want to be paying 100 euro for the right 4g antenna

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Ya would want to be paying 100 euro for the right 4g antenna
    There's more than one right antenna depending on circumstances and desired results.
    In the OPs case, they want a very directional antenna, so a YAGI is probably a good choice.
    What model are you suggesting though? I might be looking for a bit more gain myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I am just after seeing this antenna online now seems to be getting good reviews for tv would it work for 4G here as i saw someone on here use a tv aerial for 4g.
    http://www.tmart.com/XJ-850B-360-Degree-Rotation-UV-Dual-Bands-45-860MHz-22-38dB-Outdoor-Assembly-Antenna-Silver_p362449.html?promotion=2017-Fall-Sale

Sorry just seen it is sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

homingbird wrote: »
    I am just after seeing this antenna online now seems to be getting good reviews for tv would it work for 4G here as i saw someone on here use a tv aerial for 4g.
    http://www.tmart.com/XJ-850B-360-Degree-Rotation-UV-Dual-Bands-45-860MHz-22-38dB-Outdoor-Assembly-Antenna-Silver_p362449.html?promotion=2017-Fall-Sale

Sorry just seen it is sold out.

Thats a TV antenna for the frequency range as mentioned in the link '45-860MHz' while the previous antenna is '700-2700MHz'. I'd guess it wouldn't be of any use. The previous eBay link from robbiep958 would be much more suitable

Advertisement