Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying contacts online.

Options
  • 07-09-2017 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

I went to an opticians for an eye test and to get some contacts. At the time I was told that they didn't have any suitable contacts due to my astigmatisms but that they would order some in, which would take about a week. Well that was a few weeks ago now and I've heard nothing.

I'm going to give them a call but I'm not overly keen to give them my money now with the poor customer service. If I get my prescription from them, can I buy the contacts on-line? As in, I realise I can by contacts on the internet, but is there a need to visit an optician for a "fitting" first. I assume the prescription has the necessary information needed to order suitable contacts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes you can buy them online. Usually it's a bit cheaper, depends on brand. Strangely one particular brand was cheaper from optician.

Shop around and get best value for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I always buy off VisionDirect.ie. I use the Dailies Total 1 lenses because although they're pricey I find them best for me in terms of comfort. I've tried heaps of different lenses and these for me came out on top. Cheaper than buying in store for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Testament1 wrote:
    I always buy off VisionDirect.ie. I use the Dailies Total 1 lenses because although they're pricey I find them best for me in terms of comfort. I've tried heaps of different lenses and these for me came out on top. Cheaper than buying in store for sure.

You need a prescription for all that I presume then because it sounds very attractive attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I've never had to input a prescription onto that site but I know my prescription, get regular eye tests and my optician agrees that the lenses I'm wearing are one of the best daily lenses about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Of course you need a prescription, how would you know what parameters to choose otherwise?

You don't need to upload a signed document if that's what you are wondering - just select the appropriate type of lense, choose the right base curve and strength etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Hayley363

You don't have to submit a prescription on Visiondirect.ie. For toric contact lenses you will have to get the optician to check they fit your eye correctly before they sign off on your prescription.

Advertisement