Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suzuki GN250 New?

Options
  • 07-09-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm an idiot and looking online in all the wrong places but I can't seem to find anywhere selling new GN250s? Just the 125s. Does anyone know of they're sold new anymore?

I'm going to be going for my provisional A licence and I quite like the look of these bikes. I wouldn't be into the racing style. It's more for commuting and getting around.

I'm 6ft, 200lbs and I've also read that I may be too tall? Any 6 footers here ridden a GN? Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Dean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can't help with finding one but just so you know you wouldn't be able to use one of those bikes for your A license test

for the A test it has to be over 595cc and over 50kW in power

you can borrow a bike for the test

but if you want a bike to practise on for the test then look at the usual suspects fazer 600 bandit 6, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I can't help with finding one but just so you know you wouldn't be able to use one of those bikes for your A license test

for the A test it has to be over 595cc and over 50kW in power

you can borrow a bike for the test

but if you want a bike to practise on for the test then look at the usual suspects fazer 600 bandit 6, etc.

Ah crap! My understanding was that 250cc was in the A category?

Can I still apply for an A provisional, drive a 250cc on it and then do my test on a 600cc (rented or my own)?

It seems 250cc bikes are thin on the ground. It's all 125 or 600+ :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭gipi

The new licence categories have effectively killed off the 250 cc bike.

yeah you can borrow a bike for just the test

gipi wrote: »

What would you recommend for learning on? I'd probably be willing to spend €1500 on a bike. I'm not small either so a 125 might be a bit sluggish. I really like the look of Honda Hornets too. And the 250 is on the same frame as the 600 so might be better for me as I'm over 6 foot.

Maybe I'll just have to get a 125 for those first few months ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gipi wrote: »

Er, no. A2 is now a huge market.

New Suzuki GSXR 250 just out. DL250. CBR300. Kawasaki Ninja 300. BMW G310 and GS310. Loads more.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

you can't do the A2 test on any of those bikes though

galwaytt wrote: »

New Suzuki GSXR 250 just out. DL250. CBR300. Kawasaki Ninja 300. BMW G310 and GS310. Loads more.

I'm kind of confused by the new A2 and where it leaves the A licence.

Am I wrong in thinking that someone over the age of 24 would be better off applying for a provisional A licence, buying a 250cc and learning (after the IBT obviously), and then upgrading to a 600 cc before the full test?

That last time I seriously looked into getting a bike was 2011. I was younger and my insurance would have been stupid money.

you can't do the A2 test on any of those bikes though

Why not - isn't that what A2 means ???

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Fukuyama wrote: »
    galwaytt wrote: »

I'm kind of confused by the new A2 and where it leaves the A licence.

Am I wrong in thinking that someone over the age of 24 would be better off applying for a provisional A licence, buying a 250cc and learning (after the IBT obviously), and then upgrading to a 600 cc before the full test?

That last time I seriously looked into getting a bike was 2011. I was younger and my insurance would have been stupid money.

If you're 24+ I'd definitely do Provisional A.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement