Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 vs 9 subjects

Options
  • 07-09-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey guys. I need a bit of advice. I am doing 8 subjects
    7 HL&1OL
    6HL out of 7 I will use for points. I don't use OL maths as points
    I was thinking to do 9 subjects instead of 8 subjects.(I have 8 subjects and one of it is my own language which is easy so no learning)
    I'm a repeat student so I got only 400 points this year but dont know wheter to do 8 subjects or 9(I would take Ag. Science in plus) is Ag Science hard? Doable in 8 months? I also do HL business english, home economics, business, french, spanish, and my own language. I took Spanish this year. Any advice? Focus on 8 and do well or do 9?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You need 6 good results, not 9 mediocre ones. Do not spread yourself too thin, you have box smart.

Max subjects you should be doing is 7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't make the mistake of thinking your language exam will be a doddle because it's your own language. Unless it's one of the two year courses, but even then, get up to speed on current events and culture. Take at least a couple of classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

If you're repeating, surely you don't need to do 8 subjects if you won't be counting them for points? If you've passed English / Maths / Irish you could rule those out if you don't want to count them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey guys. I need a bit of advice. I am doing 8 subjects
    7 HL&1OL
    6HL out of 7 I will use for points. I don't use OL maths as points
    I was thinking to do 9 subjects instead of 8 subjects.(I have 8 subjects and one of it is my own language which is easy so no learning)
    I'm a repeat student so I got only 400 points this year but dont know wheter to do 8 subjects or 9(I would take Ag. Science in plus) is Ag Science hard? Doable in 8 months? I also do HL business english, home economics, business, french, spanish, and my own language. I took Spanish this year. Any advice? Focus on 8 and do well or do 9?

Definitely don't do 9 subjects. I've been there and done that and it doesn't work. Do 7 subjects since you're a repeat. I also wouldn't recommend you do Ag science. You don't do any other science subject and without Biology or Geography I imagine taking it up in a year would be tough. Drop another one of your subjects (whichever one you're worst at) and focus on your 7.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Like everyone else I'm wondering why you're even doing 8 subjects as a repeat student.

I would certainly strongly recommend that you don't take up another one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

Foolish idea. You do realize you can still use the previous grades you were happy with from your previous leaving cert course right? lets say you got a h2 in irish last year and only got a h4 in irish this year, you can still use your previous lc's result.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Dylanw2u wrote: »
    Foolish idea. You do realize you can still use the previous grades you were happy with from your previous leaving cert course right? lets say you got a h2 in irish last year and only got a h4 in irish this year, you can still use your previous lc's result.

... No, you can't? Not for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Liordi wrote: »
    If you're repeating, surely you don't need to do 8 subjects if you won't be counting them for points? If you've passed English / Maths / Irish you could rule those out if you don't want to count them.
    Dylanw2u wrote: »
    Canard wrote: »
    ... No, you can't? Not for points.

The LC results from last year can be used for matriculation e.g. if OP needed a H4 in English, they can count the H4 from last year. But this year, they could just pick their best 6 subjects and do them. That's what I just did. LC 2016 did 7 HL subject (Bio outside school) and OL Irish. I met the matriculation requirements so for 2017 dropped English, Irish and Business (hated/didn't get on well in these subjects) and took on Ag Science (easy as I already had biology, a bit harder if not). It paid off for me to just do 6, while it was a bit of a risk, there is no way I would do more than 7. The only reason to repeat everything is if the OP was going for medicine and even so they would need chemistry etc. as well.

Advertisement