Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Where were you that day?

• 06-09-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if there is a similar thread.

I was on my way home from a holiday in France with my parents. We had travelled through the Channel Tunnel, and all the way through England into wales, and into the boat at Holyhead. When we got onto one of the lounges board, we noticed that the people were watching the events unfold on TV, but we had assumed that it was a very good film.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I got back from a Shirin Neshat (New York based Iranian artist) exhibition in IMMA during my lunchbreak and all the work gang were huddled around the TV in the common room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Was practically comatose after secretly rigging two 110-story skyscrapers and one 47-story building with silent explosives over the weekend

Still caught most of it on TV, we even told the BBC about it beforehand for the laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I was working in a company in South County Dublin where I was employed as the IT guy. The electrician was checking something on the fuse board, so I called out to see him. I said hello, and he says "Jaysus the Americans are getting some doing aren't they". I said "What?". He said "Yeah, planes crashed in to the World Trade Center". He left shortly after, and I went back to watch it on Sky. Soon enough all the other people were looking around one of the PCs trying to get a stream of Sky News.

However, with our 128Kbps line (which cost about 12k a year I think!) was not good enough to sustain the stream. I used to have to drive home through town every day, so I listened to the news the whole way home. It was a bit eerie, quiet going through town. Then I had a road rage incident with some nut job, and all the world was right again.

I called "Conspiracy" at about 9pm that evening .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I was in third year and someone rang me, I assumed small aircraft and an accident. Got some shock when I got home and saw the reality

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was on the bus home after registering for College on the way home I was listening to my FM Radio Walkman (old school) and 2fm broke the news about the first tower being hit.

My student card forever had the date 11/09/01 on it it still creeps me out looking at it... bloody college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭jucko

i was in atlanta. eerie. was actually in waffle house on peachtree road, the waitress who i knew as ms kathy, said a small plane had hit the tower, some idiot.....
    then the next one.. then it was time to go.... very sad day for families across the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

I was staying in a B&B in the UK.  I turned the telly on but could get no sound and I was laughing at what I thought might be Thunderbirds because although the plane hit the top of the building it started collapsing from the bottom.  I thought this was just bad puppetry until I realised later what was really going on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was working in a machine shop in Ringsend, we had a little 14 inch TV in the canteen which we watched events unfold on.

I have a picture of my brother & sister standing at the base of one of the Twin Towers (outside Chase), taken at 10:42pm in September 10th, 2001 - less than 12 hours later the towers would be no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I was at soccer training after school when someone told us. I didn't know what the pentagon or trade centers were but I was annoyed that it interrupted our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Locked in , on the 35th ( I think) floor of the Rockerfella ? building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Working for MNC. They lost people on Pentagon flight. Someone popped up their head from a computer to announce that the first plane had crashed and then the second one. End of day's work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Got off the bus from school and all the parents were out in the town square talking. My mother dropped me home and her and my Dad had to go in to the travel agents and see what the story with our holiday was. We were meant to be flying to Las Vegas on the 13th Sept. They were in a queue outside the travel agents for hours.

I sat in front of Sky News for the whole evening. I was about 14 and had been blissfully unaware of terrorism until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was in my office when the secretary told me to turn on TV.

Spent the rest of the day phoning friends in NY to see if they were all ok.

The rest of the office was stuck to the TVs in the canteen, what really struck me was the lack of movement outside and the fact that the phone lines were not being used at all... nothing was happening. Seemed as if everyone was glued to the TV. I dont think we had a single customer that day.... it was eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,490 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

I was at home correcting exam papers so TV and radio were both off.

It wasn't until a housemate came back around 3.30pm that I heard about the events in NYC. That marked the end of the correcting for the day as we were both watching the news for most of the rest of the afternoon/ evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It was the last day of summer holidays. I was due to start first year college the next day, flicking channels I came across the news. Thoughts straight to my friends who were in NY at the time. Found out a week later when they came home they were right across the road from the towers, they had tonnes of photos of one of the buildings on fire. Their line of view was a few floors below where one of the planes hit so they were obviously pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

I cut my finger deep in work that morning and left to get stitches, was in my parents house when the news broke and the watched dumbstruck as the tragedy unfolded.

Still have the very noticeable scar and I'm always reminded of the day when I look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

I was weeding my Mam’s garden while she minded my screaming colicky 3 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I was in first year of secondary school. Would've been around 9:30am. My science teacher who was already a bit of a nut-case came in to class crying, saying the world is ending. After a few minutes she left sobbing dramatically. No one in the classroom had any idea what was going on. The rest of the days events were pretty vague until I got home and talked about it with my mother while looking at TV. I remember asking could I take the next day off to look at the news coverage but I wasn't allowed.

My auntie was in one of the towers less than 24 hours before it was hit. She use to work in the north tower with Morgan Stanley and used to go back there sporadically. I remember my mother told me how she desperately tried to ring her to no avail until she answered an hour later saying she was fine (and had over a hundred messages).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Was working in an office in Baldoyle. Info started coming in on news channels on the internet, but it was haphazard, small plane/big plane into the first tower etc. It immediately became very serious once the second plane hit. The internet crashed and we went to a car to listen to the news on the radio.
    There was lots of confusion, reports of carbombs going off in NY and also a bomb at the Pentagon. It became very apparent that this was Pearl Harbour for our age.
    Basically no work was done for the rest of the day, and very little that week! Especially since the government decided on a day of mourning that Friday (as far as I can remember). The pubs were wedged that Thursday night due to the unexpected long weekend! ( Lots of US based companies refused to give the day off to their Irish employees).

Admldj wrote: »
    I cut my finger deep in work that morning and left to get stitches, was in my parents house when the news broke and the watched dumbstruck as the tragedy unfolded.

Still have the very noticeable scar and I'm always reminded of the day when I look at it.
    Biggest thing I remember of that day is looking down 6th ave nearing the 59th st bridge and seeing probably millions of people doing the same walk all the way to downtown. I didn’t even see any of it on tv till about 3/4 that day. Luckily the foreman on the job missed Monday or I might very well been a statistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I didn't even know it happened until I saw tributes on the 10th anniversary in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I was in work and had just been in the canteen for brekkie, came downstairs and a guy in the office said "a plane crashed into the world trade centre" and we all sort of went - "really? like a crop duster or a big plane? some eejit".

But then it began to unfold and we spent the rest of the day on Sky news watching it.

I was going for a smoke later on when the first tower fell. People started talking about how there would be a rush on petrol in case the americans started hoarding oil or there was a war. I needed petrol so on the way home I went to a garage and sure enough there was a huge queue!

Later that evening a friend of mine in NY called and gave me a live feed of what was going on. She couldnt get out of the city and was terrified. She came home to Ireland as soon as she could after it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

cjmc wrote: »
    Locked in , on the 35th ( I think) floor of the Rockerfella ? building.

Surely evacuating tall buildings should have been a priority given what happened instead of locking ye in. Ye were literal sitting ducks.

Loughc wrote: »
    Surely evacuating tall buildings should have been a priority given what happened instead of locking ye in. Ye were literal sitting ducks.

You would think that ! No we were all locked in listening to the radio . When the 2nd plane hit all the Americans were saying it was war and all the Irish probably agreed. Just glad I didn’t have to get back up to woodlawn or Yonkers.

Advertisement