Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky engineer - Needs alarm off for install!

Options
  • 06-09-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Just off the phone with Sky. I've an engineer calling to install broadband only (no satellite dish, just face board over the old Eir connection point). :D

They stated I need to contact alarm company to turn off alarm. I don't know much about the alarm other than that I don't think it's monitored, just one of the door key pad jobs. Anyone here have sky installed with an alarm before and had an issue? :confused:

The landlord would need a call to disable the alarm I think, and he didn't want sky to be installing the wifi. They prefer virgin but only because he thought sky needed a dish for the broadband which isn't the case. I can see that maybe the alarm needs to turn off if he needs to turn off the power to the house, but I've never had a house alarm before ( the big rottweiler was usually enough of a deterrent for any would be thiefs) :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What prompted them to instruct you to remove it. Has a tech been out?

What matters is if the alarm is connected to the line, not if its actively monitored. We have a 15yo Phonewatch unit, hasn't been monitored in 5yrs+ but its still on the copper pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭FionnK86

ED E wrote: »
    What prompted them to instruct you to remove it. Has a tech been out?

What matters is if the alarm is connected to the line, not if its actively monitored. We have a 15yo Phonewatch unit, hasn't been monitored in 5yrs+ but its still on the copper pair.

It was in the jargon they quote over the phone that I've to deactivate the alarms

So if it's on the copper pair I'll need to ring up and says it's okay just the Internet guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the alarm was never monitored its fine, they'll just work away.

Advertisement