Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Dividends

Options
  • 06-09-2017 2:26pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭

New to this stocks and shares thing. What kind of companies pay good dividends?

I've a few in BOI, and a small bit in a gold company, mining and residential. P&G are a bit expensive for me starting out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ryanair
    Coca Cola
    Tullow Oil
    Microsoft

Bank of Ireland can't keep up with dividend payments if things don't improve drastically and I don't see any due.

AIB have a yearly dividend due (was paid 9th May this year) next May I would imagine, unless something drastic happens. It hasn't been announced yet though. The ex-date for that should be mid-March, so that'd be a good time to buy a lot of AIB. Rate was €0.0921 per share

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

callaway92 wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland can't keep up with dividend payments if things don't improve drastically and I don't see any due.

BoI have set aside 70million in H117 and will set aside another 70million in H217 with a dividend payment in March 2018. They have also stated that the total dividend payment will rise to 50% of profits over time. It is their intention to me a boring, solid dividend paying business into the future.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0728/893560-bank-of-ireland-expects-to-pay-modest-dividend-in-201/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That makes no sense.

That makes no sense.

I don't see any dividend due for them at all on my systems anyway. They look like they're not paying one unless it just hasn't been announced yet

lucky john wrote: »
    BoI have set aside 70million in H117 and will set aside another 70million in H217 with a dividend payment in March 2018. They have also stated that the total dividend payment will rise to 50% of profits over time. It is their intention to me a boring, solid dividend paying business into the future.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0728/893560-bank-of-ireland-expects-to-pay-modest-dividend-in-201/

ah right.. Micky Mouse stuff so

Spot on - solid dividend investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Ryanair
    Coca Cola
    Tullow Oil
    Microsoft

AIB have a yearly dividend due (was paid 9th May this year) next May I would imagine, unless something drastic happens. It hasn't been announced yet though. The ex-date for that should be mid-March, so that'd be a good time to buy a lot of AIB. Rate was €0.0921 per share

Didn't think Ryanair paid dividends? Or only did it a few times in their history...?

OP another way would be to buy an ETF targeted at paying dividends. This is one I've bought lately:
    https://www.justetf.com/en/etf-profile.html?isin=DE0002635281
    Seems a good yield lately (+5%), not the worst TER in the world, and gives a good exposure across Eurozone (handy for capital appreciation also)

Only thing to be cognisant of is dividend withholding tax (https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/Tax/dttl-tax-withholding-tax-rates.pdf ), and the whole 8year CGT calculation. But potentially could be a stable source of dividend income.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

ah right.. Micky Mouse stuff so

Would you not be better off with BoI than say...Tullow oil??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

REITs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Ryanair do not pay a dividend, and they take pride in claiming that. Every so often they do pay out a special dividend when they come across a serious wedge of money that they have no use for (like the money they got for the sale of their shares in Aer Lingus). Not a share to be buying for potential dividend payouts.

I don't think Tullow have paid a dividend for the last 3 years

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    New to this stocks and shares thing. What kind of companies pay good dividends?

I've a few in BOI, and a small bit in a gold company, mining and residential. P&G are a bit expensive for me starting out.

Have a read of this, if it's good enough for Warren Buffett.........
    https://www.simplysafedividends.com/warren-buffett-best-high-yield-dividend-stocks/

http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/365836/13-dividend-stocks-among-best-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Ryanair
    Coca Cola
    Tullow Oil
    Microsoft

:confused:

Anyway, moving on, the Vanguard REIT ETF (NYSE: VNQ) pays a dividend yield of 4.4% annually, nearly double the yield paid by companies in the S&P 500.

Watch out for interest rate hikes, REITs are heavily affected by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I don't see any dividend due for them at all on my systems anyway. They look like they're not paying one unless it just hasn't been announced yet

Why don't you see a dividend for them?

They are one of the most profitable banks in Europe. They are actually a skilled bank. They were buying dodgy loan books like vulture funds and making a decent profit on them. They did not really need a state bailout in hindsight.

While every bank in the UK is throwing money at the over heated market. BOI is being cautious with lending.

Their NNI is 2.32% this year. This is little risk of this decreasing, as the Irish Government won't really allow competition in the banking market.

OP good dividend shares IMO are Apple. They can afford to pay them out

Hostelworld is a growth stock and has a good dividend

Prezatch wrote: »
    Ryanair
    Coca Cola
    Tullow Oil
    Microsoft

:confused:

Anyway, moving on, the Vanguard REIT ETF (NYSE: VNQ) pays a dividend yield of 4.4% annually, nearly double the yield paid by companies in the S&P 500.

Watch out for interest rate hikes, REITs are heavily affected by this.
    Only thing to dissuade me from US dividends is the Euro is quite strong at the moment, so you may not see too much of the dividend by the time it comes back from dollar...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Research overload here. Thanks all.

What's the jazz with gbx xxx.xx

How much is that?

Sterling pence. Some UK stock armarket priced in pence rather than pounds

not quite sure why - maybe they wanted to see the most significant info back before inflation ?

I can see due dividends in work and don't see any for them

While every bank in the UK is throwing money at the over heated market. BOI is being cautious with lending.

BOI's biggest profit maker is mortgages, specifically in London. They are not cautious at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

BOI's biggest profit maker is mortgages, specifically in London. They are not cautious at the mo

Really? Head of BOI UK said in 2016, they have fears over the UK property market and are cautious lending on high value London properties. You appear to have the complete opposite opinion of what the bank are saying...
    “We’re conservative in the London market, where it is quite heated, and it is difficult for first-time buyers in particular to get onto the housing ladder in the London area,” he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/03/17/bank-of-ireland-fears-londons-housing-market-is-overheating/

BOI have £4.2bn worth of mortgages lent in the Greater London area, of £20.3bn in the UK in total, and an overall mortgage figure of €47.1bn (Ireland & UK) . Of that £4.2bn the average balance is £196k and 90% of them have an LTV less than 70%. Seems reasonably cautious to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

They are one of the most profitable banks in Europe. They are actually a skilled bank. They were buying dodgy loan books like vulture funds and making a decent profit on them. They did not really need a state bailout in hindsight.

Their NNI is 2.32% this year. This is little risk of this decreasing, as the Irish Government won't really allow competition in the banking market.

OP good dividend shares IMO are Apple. They can afford to pay them out

Hostelworld is a growth stock and has a good dividend

Not sure if it's a good time to get into Hostelworld. Sure they just paid out an extra dividend but the share price has risen massively since to reflect that.

Advertisement