Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold Car Problem!

Options
  • 06-09-2017 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello.
    I sold my car the other day. a man came to see it he liked it and gave a deposit of 50euro. he came back next day saw the car again and paid in full for the car and drove off. he liked everything about it and check it.. now he rings me about 1hr later saying that the car is overheating the temp. line is on red. we met up and he wants to return the car, but i already sent the logbook. what do i do. i mean its a private sale

he has the car to check it out since yesturday

help me please

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You don't have to do anything. He checked out the car, was happy enough to put down a deposit (which I think is a bit odd on a private sale) and he came back to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Quick search through the posts here will tell you that you have no obligation to do anything. The car was in good order when he bought it. He paid for it. That's it. How do you know he didn't do something to the car to break it?? He has no right to any refund or to return the car. So it's your choice what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tevey08

It's totally up to yourself what you do. You can take the car back or you can tell him where to go. The car was sold without a Guarantee and sold as is. Who says he didn't damage the radiator for the 1 hour he has it. Up to yourself if you what to do the good deed take it back and get it fixed and sell it on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sold as seen, it's his problem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Offer to buy it from him for 60% of how much he paid. It now has an extra owner on the log book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Just out of curiousity.. Did you know it was overheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sergiot

thank you so much for the great feedback!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Don't offer anything. If it was genuinely fine when you sold it, just tell him so and you won't be entertaining any more calls or texts about it. Then block his number. Don't engage with any communications with him and don't accept responsibility for anything or even offer a partial refund as you will be deemed as taking responsibility for it. Just tell him private sale, it was sold as seen. He examined it twice and was happy. You will no longer be accepting calls or texts. Then block his number. If he shows up at your door tell him to go away or you will report him to the guards for harassment.

no it didnt happen to me, car was good

@yawns okay will do that. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It sounds like bad luck but the buyer should have had a mechanic look the car other prior to handing over the money. It's getting harder and harder to sell stuff these days to joe public when people expect comeback yet won't pay the privilege of it through buying from a dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

screamer wrote: »
    The car was in good order when he bought it.

Was it though? How could you possibly know for sure? And even if the issue was there before, if the OP knew about it, would the buyer have any come back?
    bazz26 wrote: »
    It sounds like bad luck but the buyer should have had a mechanic look the car other prior to handing over the money. It's getting harder and harder to sell stuff these days to joe public when people expect comeback yet won't pay the privilege of it through buying from a dealer.

That's not the reason why selling is becoming difficult. That's an after sale issue. It's getting harder and harder to sell privately as people are being heaps of crap expecting the car to run (oddly enough), when in fact they are problematic and the sellers attitude is "it's your problem now". It's a private sale so buyer beware, but don't give false reasons for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was it though? How could you possibly know for sure? And even if the issue was there before, if the OP knew about it, would the buyer have any come back?

That's not the reason why selling is becoming difficult. That's an after sale issue. It's getting harder and harder to sell privately as people are being heaps of crap expecting the car to run (oddly enough), when in fact they are problematic and the sellers attitude is "it's your problem now". It's a private sale so buyer beware, but don't give false reasons for this.

It has always been a case of buyer beware when it came to private sales, but these days more and more buyers try to be clever dicks saving a few quid by buying private except they don't seem to understand the difference and the law around it. They cut corners and don't bring someone who knows their beans. When the risk is then realized they then think they can demand their money back. Buy from a dealer and pay for the privilege if you want comeback and a guarantee otherwise take the risk.

We don't know the reason why the car was overheating after 1 hour or so and we can only go off what the OP is saying in that he/she was not aware of it. Either way I'd imagine there would have been a good chance that a knowledgeable person may suspect that there was something wrong with the car if it overheated that quickly.

So making excuses for buyers who don't have cars checked out by a professional when buying privately is hardly valid either. Buyer beware is exactly that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Is this the 2007 Skoda Octavia that you posted about 6 months ago whose coolant was bubbling?

he had someone check it out, ( and... he is a bmw dealer )

yeah, the 2007 skoda, we got it fixed and working, it needed a waterpump change. worked like a clock since

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Might be a simple thermostat problem, tell him its not your problem and to go and sort it himself.

i did tell him that, he said he will check it out today and if the gasket is gone he is returning the car.
    doesnt work that way , i dont know what he has done to it.
    when he took it for a test drive with me he floored it all the time , mad time..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

caveat emptor

As you are not a 'dealer' i.e. in the business of selling cars you are not caught under consumer protection legislation so therefore not obliged to meet min standards.

You can tell him to bog off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You have the money, he has the car.
    sergiot wrote: »
    if the gasket is gone he is returning the car.
    He can park the car if he wants. He just won't be getting his money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Tell him if he doesn't like it he can buy a new car next time. There's still likely to be faults, but at least they should be covered by a warranty. Unless he breaks it himself, of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Just a thought, how did he pay for it? Any chance it's a scam where you refund him and then the original method of payment gets rejected and you're out of pocket. Seems unlikely though.

MOH wrote: »
    Just a thought, how did he pay for it? Any chance it's a scam where you refund him and then the original method of payment gets rejected and you're out of pocket. Seems unlikely though.

he has paid in cash. paid deposit previous day because he liked the car. came the next day and paid other amount.
    drove off and then called me 1hr later saying all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Have you witnessed this fault, OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

theteal wrote: »
    Have you witnessed this fault, OP?

Don't even entertain witnessing it. Once you start to entertain anything, they get their foot in the door so to speak. Just cut it off from the start. Not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

When selling a used car i always give the owner a receipt, me and owner sight it and on it it will say "Sold as seen" if buyer not happy with that, no sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Apart from the caveat emptor and that it's his problem now, judging by your post that the coolant was bubbling before and now again.. would It be fair to say that you shouldn't really be that surprised?
    I don't think a failing water pump will cause coolant to bubble up but maybe I'm wrong.
    Just a huge coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's a scam.
    The buyer is looking to get cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Another one of these private sales expecting a warranty...there was the exact same thread here last week
    Op

• Advertisement
Advertisement