Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL History research paper

Options
  • 05-09-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So I'm just gone into 5th year about a week ago and our teacher has us picking our topics for the research paper. We're doing 5 drafts and the first one is for the Christmas exams, and I'm just wondering does anyone have any suggestions on what to do, there's nothing good in my local area, and I was thinking of maybe doing the bay of pigs invasion? Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So I'm just gone into 5th year about a week ago and our teacher has us picking our topics for the research paper. We're doing 5 drafts and the first one is for the Christmas exams, and I'm just wondering does anyone have any suggestions on what to do, there's nothing good in my local area, and I was thinking of maybe doing the bay of pigs invasion? Any help appreciated

:eek:

I find that hard to believe.
    Do you want to give an idea of where you are (within 30km or so, no need to give your address) and someone can help?
    Try do something unique and local to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruth001

Hi.Can one do the history of the GAA or is that too broad

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Deanmcgov00

Ruth001 wrote: »
    history of gas would be too broad, it has to be something specific

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The kidnapping of Tiede Herrema ?

spurious wrote: »
    :eek:

I find that hard to believe.
    Do you want to give an idea of where you are (within 30km or so, no need to give your address) and someone can help?
    Try do something unique and local to Ireland.
    It's not that there isn't anything to do i live in monasterevin in Kildare and there Isn't anything interesting other than flying columns which is overdone

• Advertisement

The kidnapping of Tiede Herrema ?

I'll have a look into it, sounds intersting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

It was - 1975

From Wikipedia
    Dr Tiede Herrema (born 21 April 1921) is a Dutch businessman. He was born in Zuilen.

In the 1970s, Herrema ran a wire factory, Ferenka, in the city of Limerick, Ireland. At the time, this was the city's biggest employer, with approximately 1,400 workers. On the morning of 3 October 1975 Herrema was abducted having just left his home in Castletroy near Limerick by two members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army, Eddie Gallagher and Marion Coyle. The kidnappers demanded the release of three IRA prisoners, including Rose Dugdale.[2]

After a massive security operation, the kidnappers were eventually traced on 21 October 1975 to a house in Monasterevin, County Kildare. After a further two-week-long siege, Herrema was released, shaken but unharmed.[3] He left Ireland soon after.

He and his wife Elizabeth were made honorary Irish citizens in 1975,and he was made a Freeman of the city of Limerick.

In 2005, he donated his personal papers to the University of Limerick.

Anyone in their 60s and upwards will remember it - you may be able to get eye-witness accounts. I heard Dr Herrema interviewed recently on radio. It was a fascinating frightening time - I can remember watching the 2 week siege all on the black and white TV - a basket of food etc being raised up from the street to the kidnappers and Dr herremain an upstairs bedroom of the house 1410 St Evin's Park. I remember hearing Dr Herrema saying (years later) that the smell of Oil of Ulay face cream always reminded him of the siege -I think Marion Coyle asked for that (or had it herself) to clean her face!

It was - 1975

From Wikipedia
    Dr Tiede Herrema (born 21 April 1921) is a Dutch businessman. He was born in Zuilen.

In the 1970s, Herrema ran a wire factory, Ferenka, in the city of Limerick, Ireland. At the time, this was the city's biggest employer, with approximately 1,400 workers. On the morning of 3 October 1975 Herrema was abducted having just left his home in Castletroy near Limerick by two members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army, Eddie Gallagher and Marion Coyle. The kidnappers demanded the release of three IRA prisoners, including Rose Dugdale.[2]

After a massive security operation, the kidnappers were eventually traced on 21 October 1975 to a house in Monasterevin, County Kildare. After a further two-week-long siege, Herrema was released, shaken but unharmed.[3] He left Ireland soon after.

He and his wife Elizabeth were made honorary Irish citizens in 1975,and he was made a Freeman of the city of Limerick.

In 2005, he donated his personal papers to the University of Limerick.

Anyone in their 60s and upwards will remember it - you may be able to get eye-witness accounts. I heard Dr Herrema interviewed recently on radio. It was a fascinating frightening time - I can remember watching the 2 week siege all on the black and white TV - a basket of food etc being raised up from the street to the kidnappers and Dr herremain an upstairs bedroom of the house 1410 St Evin's Park. I remember hearing Dr Herrema saying (years later) that the smell of Oil of Ulay face cream always reminded him of the siege -I think Marion Coyle asked for that (or had it herself) to clean her face!

Wow! This could actually be the perfect thing to do, I love in monasterevin now so could be perfect for eyewitness accounts! And there'll be loads of info cause it's ira related and the local library will have loads! That's amazing, genuinely think I'll do this, thank you so much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was in first year in school when that happened. I remember it well.

Check out the old papers. Your school might have a subscription to https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/
    If not, your library will. You should be able to find plenty of people remember it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ruth001 wrote: »
    Way too broad, but by all means pick an aspect of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement