Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't pick a career path

Options
  • 05-09-2017 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi I am presently in Sixt year and am finding it very stressful trying to figure out what career path I'm going to take. My parents are paid for me to go to a career guidance privately but I'm still not 100% sure. Are there online tests I can take that'll help me with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hi I am presently in Sixt year and am finding it very stressful trying to figure out what career path I'm going to take. My parents are paid for me to go to a career guidance privately but I'm still not 100% sure. Are there online tests I can take that'll help me with this.

There are tests you can take online to tell you which career path you could take but tbh I find some of them to be a bit hit-or-miss. One of these is on careersportal.ie

What are the subjects you study? What subjects are you good at/do you have the most interest in? These can often be good indicators of what a person wants to do. Ask yourself questions like do you want to work indoors or outdoors. Could you imagine yourself working in an office? Are you more arts/humanities-minded or science-minded or something in between?

A better way to decide which career path to take, in my opinion, is to just study whatever course you have an interest in. Study something you'll enjoy and do well in. If you're motivated to do well in a course, you'll excel at it and you can find a career path from there. You always hear stories of people who go into a course with one career set in mind, but by chance they ended up doing something different that they loved. That's because they found something they loved through their studies.

I know it can be frustrating not knowing what you want to do in 6th year. It's hard to find the motivation to study when you've no idea what kind of points you need, etc. Just know that you'll figure it out eventually!

Advertisement