Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you be forced to stay in honours

Options
  • 05-09-2017 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, can a school keep me from doing pass irish if they think i'm able for honours? if i really want to do pass but i get good grades in higher level can they still force me to stay in honours??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Why do you want to go to pass if you're doing well in honours?

What class you're placed into is usually at the discretion of the school. I can't imagine they'd let you move to pass without a good reason. That being said though, it's your decision which paper you'll sit for the leaving certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

I was in the same situation as you are, I was allowed to drop down to pass Irish after explaining to my teacher that I won’t be using the points for it. If that doesn’t work try something like “is there any point in me working my ass for for a subject that I don’t like and won’t use for college? If I drop to pass I’ll have more time to focus on the subjects I need for college”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can do whatever level exam you want on the day.

There are a number of reasons why you might be required to stay in the 'Higher' class, no matter what your stated intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi, can a school keep me from doing pass irish if they think i'm able for honours? if i really want to do pass but i get good grades in higher level can they still force me to stay in honours??

You'll have to clarify a bit.
    Is it the class/teacher they won't let you leave (by changing levels)?
    Or do you want to change levels and don't mind staying in the same class (as in hons and pass are mixed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Your teachers can advise you to sit a particular level, but you cannot be 'forced' to sit a particular exam.
    I would suggest you have a discussion with your principal or whoever coordinates your year or your school's guidance teacher if they have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Your school cannot force you to do a certain level. If you really want to drop, bring in a note from your parents requesting that you drop. The school may not move you out of the honours class, but you might be allowed sit in the back and work through the exam papers, with a little helping hand from the honours teacher when they aren't busy with the HL class. This happens in a lot of schools, or they might just entirely move you if its an inconvenience.

Advertisement