Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do TRVs change how central heating is balanced?

Options
  • 04-09-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Do TRV change how central heating is balanced?

I only ask as would like to get them but my heating is delicately balanced to make sure water flow reaches the end of the loop. I try not to change how the various valves are opened for the last year or 2 as all is working fine

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

They shouldn't make any difference as the balancing is done on the lockshield valve. You could try manually adjusting the knurled valve to mimic trv's to see how you get on, just in case you setup isn't great.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

Wearb wrote: »
    They shouldn't make any difference as the balancing is done on the lockshield valve. You could try manually adjusting the knurled valve to mimic trv's to see how you get on, just in case you setup isn't great.

Great thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I would be inclined to open all the lockshield valves a turn or two when installing TRVs.
    TRVs should reduce any balancing issues by their very nature - very few radiators will sit fully open for long periods as they do in a manual system. Opening them slightly will improve the maximum flow rate and thus power output that each radiator is capable of if the need arises.
    In your case you should probably leave them as is to promote flow to the distant rad during startup. It should heat up a lot quicker than without the TRVs anyway all things being equal. As rooms near the boiler warm up, flow through those rads will reduce, increasing the local system pressure to drive flow to the distant radiator.

You may as well go for smart TRVs if you're installing the valves. Gives you individual control of each radiator as if they were a zone. The latest ones can even be configured to call for heat from the boiler.

Advertisement