Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Landlord??

Options
  • 04-09-2017 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was wondering is there a way to check if your landlord is legal?
    I've just moved into a new house with 2 other students and one working individual. The rent is under the market rent which is why I decided to rent and I got it through a friend. I've already had a problem with this landlord and was wondering how to address the situation.

The previous tenants say they believe he is illegal but I would like to know for sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Illegal in what manner? If they are not registered with the RTB, this has no bearing on you or your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 12342345678

I wish to know if they are licensed or not, that is all. He made us sign a 'contract', he is a bit sketchy, and very rude, I just want to know what to do if I ever find myself in a bad situation with him, I need to know how to deal with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Unless you are living with your landlord the is nothing they can do which detracts from your rights as a tenant. If you have a dispute, you can refer it to the RTB.

To be honest though, it sounds like you're overreacting. You can't even point to anything specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Sounds like your a licencee and not a tenant.
    Licencees have less rights than tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 12342345678

Unless you are living with your landlord the is nothing they can do which detracts from your rights as a tenant. If you have a dispute, you can refer it to the RTB.

To be honest though, it sounds like you're overreacting. You can't even point to anything specific.
    He has threatened to kick me out because I had an over night guest. He only gave me a months contracted rather than the 10 months contract that was agreed upon. He has asked me and only me to pay a deposit because he is angry at me for this too. I am aware that the previous tenants have never paid a deposit. He had to travel an hour to give me a key because I was locked out of the house and I believe this made him pissed off as he was on a night out (I had traveled two and a half hours that night, I had no where to stay, i had to get the key) and then when he arrived the next day I had a guest (the person who helped me move up). We pay in cash by leaving it in a envelope in the shed for him to collect. he arrives whenever he pleases with his wife. He states by law he has to increase the rent by 4% every year (idk if he has to increase it or if he is going to increase it; it can only be by 4% max). There's other things that dont comply with the responsibilities a landlord has like ensuring the house has fire extinguisher and fire blanket etc.

I didnt feel a need to mention everything. I just wanted to know how I can tell if hes a licensed landlord or not. Because Im afraid he could get mad at something small, which he has done already, and just decide to kick me out and ill have know where to go.

I want to be prepared, that is all.

• Advertisement

Whether he has registered your tenancy doesn't affect your rights as a tenant. You can refer a dispute to the RTB irrespective of the landlord's standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

He doesn't have to increase rent by law, he's only allowed increase it by a maximum of 4% and I think that's only every two years.

Are you a licencee or a tenant? If you signed a licence, it probably states he can come and go without your permission. Even if this means you'll be on the can. No warning call and possibly no doorbell.

If it's a rental agreement, he has no right to enter the property without your permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Are you a licencee or a tenant? If you signed a licence, it probably states he can come and go without your permission. Even if this means you'll be on the can. No warning call and possibly no doorbell.

If it's a rental agreement, he has no right to enter the property without your permission.
    What you sign doesn't impact the type of tenancy it is. If the landlord doesn't actually live there or keep a room there which he uses regularly it's very unlikely it's not a proper tenancy.

OP you should read the information available on the RTB website it would give you a better understanding of renting in Ireland.

Advertisement