Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For A MSI GL62 7QF For Around €600

Options
  • 04-09-2017 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, for the last week or two I have been looking for a budget gaming laptop around €600. There isn't much much of an option at this price range but the best I could find was the MSI GL62 7QF. This laptop has all the specs I want and was around the €600 mark until it recently got sold out and the retailer is not restocking it. Anywhere else, this laptop is at least €700 and this is of course outside my budget. Anyone know where I could get this laptop cheaper? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

amazon-new-used.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

https://geizhals.eu/?fs=MSI+GL62&in=

https://geizhals.eu/msi-gl62-7rd-7rd-083-0016j9-083-a1558314.html
    Lower spec but later generation, €1000 all over.

Seems like 600 was a clearance price probably, not a real market value. 960M is still desirable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

ED E wrote: »
    amazon-new-used.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

https://geizhals.eu/?fs=MSI+GL62&in=

https://geizhals.eu/msi-gl62-7rd-7rd-083-0016j9-083-a1558314.html
    Lower spec but later generation, €1000 all over.

Seems like 600 was a clearance price probably, not a real market value. 960M is still desirable enough.

Cheers for that but they all seem to be quite a bit over my €600 budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Terror is better on this than me, but if Im correct a "Gaming" laptop at 600 is very optimistic. The minimum "everyday" laptop I would buy would be 500-550, add a GPU and you're up at the 750-800 mark.

Maybe look at Dell Outlet or other refurbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, you're not going to get a new laptop with a GTX960M for €600.

You can get a GTX1050 laptop for about €760 from Amazon for the moment which is very good value considering the performance, ahead of the GTX960M - which hasn't really dropped in price despite the new, superior models, so they're now largely redundant compared to the faster GTX1050 models.

The only laptop in that price range at around €650 is the MX150 with an i3 - same as a desktop GT1030 2GB, not terrible but not as fast as a GTX960M.

But considering an i5 + GTX1050 is just €100 more roughly and offers significantly better performance (about 70% faster), in itself it's worth finding that extra cash.

Yeah, you're not going to get a new laptop with a GTX960M for €600.

You can get a GTX1050 laptop for about €760 from Amazon for the moment which is very good value considering the performance, ahead of the GTX960M - which hasn't really dropped in price despite the new, superior models, so they're now largely redundant compared to the faster GTX1050 models.

The only laptop in that price range at around €650 is the MX150 with an i3 - same as a desktop GT1030 2GB, not terrible but not as fast as a GTX960M.

But considering an i5 + GTX1050 is just €100 more roughly and offers significantly better performance (about 70% faster), in itself it's worth finding that extra cash.

You see I am not looking for this laptop for gaming, I just want a laptop that has all round power and a dedicated GPU, so something like a GTX940 would do for me as long as I have a 7th gen i5 and 8GB DDR4 ram. The reason I am looking for this particular laptop is because I seen it on a website for €630 but it is now sold out and they don't plan on restocking it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why the dedicated GPU in that case if not for gaming? Graphics card doesn't particularly offer anything extra over Intel GPU unless you want it for editing/rendering or similar that takes advantage of a dedicated GPU.

Normal desktop use there's no need, watching 4K video or X265 decoding etc can all be done on modern integrated Intel graphics.

Why the dedicated GPU in that case if not for gaming? Graphics card doesn't particularly offer anything extra over Intel GPU unless you want it for editing/rendering or similar that takes advantage of a dedicated GPU.

Normal desktop use there's no need, watching 4K video or X265 decoding etc can all be done on modern integrated Intel graphics.

I will be doing editing in photoshop and all that and I will probably be testing games etc on it down the line so I would just like to have a laptop that is fairly capable in all areas, I know for heavy work it isn't very capable but I don't think I will require it for heavy work. I understand where you are coming from all the same. I guess I will just have to wait and see for another one to pop up in a sale.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Photoshop will not need a graphics card for most tasks. Maybe if you get into 3d modelling or something extreme, but for your budget I don't think it will make any difference. I use photoshop and lightroom on a 5 year old ultrabook without much issue, even processing large images.

I wouldn't focus on the graphics card. SSD and CPU would be more important in your case.

Photoshop will not need a graphics card for most tasks. Maybe if you get into 3d modelling or something extreme, but for your budget I don't think it will make any difference. I use photoshop and lightroom on a 5 year old ultrabook without much issue, even processing large images.

I wouldn't focus on the graphics card. SSD and CPU would be more important in your case.

Yeah I see, another reason I would of liked that laptop is because it comes with the OS and whatever installed on a 128GB SSD but it then has a spare internal 2.5'' bay which I could just pop my 500GB SSD into which would be very handy.

Advertisement