Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The condensation Drain pipe from oil boiler?

Options
  • 04-09-2017 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

Hello me again with what sounds like I have found another slapdash "that'l do" cut corner job.

How important is it to have the condensation pipe coming from outdoor condensing boiler unit going into a drain or soak-away?

To read the Grant instructions it says "This must exit into a drain or soak-away" in big bold letters and sounds like its very important, but i just went out to boiler to clean the condensation trap at the back of the boiler (it was full of dirty water) and low and behold the exit pipe was just shoved through the metal casing of the boiler unit at the bottom and not going into any drain or anything - there doesn't seem to be any nearby drains at all so I can see why maybe the installer chose that route in a way - but what can happen/worst that can happen if the pipe does not go into a drain or soak-away?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Potentially acidic water hanging around inside a structure is the straight forward one, and all it entails (breaking up cables etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Dardania wrote: »
    Potentially acidic water hanging around inside a structure is the straight forward one, and all it entails (breaking up cables etc.)

ah right - I thought it was just distilled water that came out of it - albeit dirty water, imagine it being acidic , cant be good for water table if it goes into a drain can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ah right - I thought it was just distilled water that came out of it - albeit dirty water, imagine it being acidic , cant be good for water table if it goes into a drain can it?

Lad, jsysus, no offence but why do you insist on playing at things you know nothing about. Servicing oil boilers, cleaning out traps etc. You could potentially kill someone wit your antics. Fair enough you're a hands on kind of person and so am I, but you won't see me fiddling at a fuse board or changing the brakes on a car....even though I probably could, I know where to stop. You should too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Tomatoes juice is more acidic

agusta wrote: »
    Tomatoes juice is more acidic

So is ribena, coke etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I think it is more to do with causing icy footpaths in cold weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Rabbo wrote: »
    I think it is more to do with causing icy footpaths in cold weather
    NO,it can corrode the base of the boiler and copper pipeing,it will stain footpaths etc

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lad, jsysus, no offence but why do you insist on playing at things you know nothing about. Servicing oil boilers, cleaning out traps etc. You could potentially kill someone wit your antics. Fair enough you're a hands on kind of person and so am I, but you won't see me fiddling at a fuse board or changing the brakes on a car....even though I probably could, I know where to stop. You should too.

ah im not going to kill no-one. Actually P*ss easy job (if not filthy!) to take out the baffles and clean them and put them back in place (mind you even if not put properly back in place still not going to kill anyone) an idiot could do it blindfolded (which is why I attempted it lol) same with the trap

No what could kill someone is when someone (classed as 'expert') hasn't installed something properly in the first place! which I keep coming across .. or seems it

ah im not going to kill no-one. Actually P*ss easy job (if not filthy!) to take out the baffles and clean them and put them back in place (mind you even if not put properly back in place still not going to kill anyone) an idiot could do it blindfolded (which is why I attempted it lol) same with the trap

No what could kill someone is when someone (classed as 'expert') hasn't installed something properly in the first place! which I keep coming across .. or seems it

You said you wiped the face of the nozzle the other day. Do you have any idea how that affects combustion? Was the seal sound on the trap? If not then it'll leak fumes internally. Who say the boiler was burning correctly in the first place. You are the last person at this boiler so you are responsible for how it's left. Without a flue gas analyser you are clueless as to how the combustion is performing. A wise old man on here once said something along the lines of "could you explain your actions to a corenor"?

agusta wrote: »
    NO,it can corrode the base of the boiler and copper pipeing,it will stain footpaths etc

how many years could that take roughly? - or are we talking quicker than years?

• Advertisement

You said you wiped the face of the nozzle the other day.
    well brushed the soot off with a clean paintbush
    Do you have any idea how that affects combustion? Was the seal sound on the trap?

yes
    If not then it'll leak fumes internally.

ah well its an outdoor boiler, im sure the fumes will escape
    Who say the boiler was burning correctly in the first place.
    ah sure it hasnt been running correctly since its been installed, i could be pretty sure of that, it hasnt even got the right nozzle fitted in there fitted by the installer
    You are the last person at this boiler so you are responsible for how it's left. Without a flue gas analyser you are clueless as to how the combustion is performing.

which is why i am not going to adjust the pressure screw or anything.
    A wise old man on here once said something along the lines of "could you explain your actions to a corenor"?

Well thank God there is a plethora of safety devices in there then to shut it down in such an event such as photocell, fire valve and other safety features that will shut it off

well brushed the soot off with a clean paintbush

yes

ah well its an outdoor boiler, im sure the fumes will escape

ah sure it hasnt been running correctly since its been installed, i could be pretty sure of that, it hasnt even got the right nozzle fitted in there fitted by the installer

which is why i am not going to adjust the pressure screw or anything.

Well thank God there is a plethora of safety devices in there then to shut it down in such an event such as photocell, fire valve and other safety features that will shut it off

It's frightening how oblivious you are to all of this.

Andy you don't know what you don't know and it's the not knowing that makes you a potential risk as it does anyone, using the defence that your better than a cowboy because you use the internet doesn't make you a better/safer service engineer.

You obviously like what your doing so why don't you do some courses which will make things safer for you and yours if you do wish to go hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Andy
    My sister Avril was killed by carbon monoxide
    Boilers are NOT A PISS EASY JOB

Tom44 wrote: »
    Andy
    My sister Avril was killed by carbon monoxide
    Boilers are NOT A PISS EASY JOB

Oh god i'm so sorry to hear about that - i feel terrible now. I didnt mean to be so flippant :(

Andy
    We as a group were both amused and horrified with your diy antics in your previous accomadations.
    We tried to advise to the best of our abilities.
    We all have reasons for trying to help the public here.

At least you oil boiler is now outdoors.
    But do you have an indoor fire or stove, and if so, does it have an co alarm ?

Andy
    We as a group were both amused and horrified with your diy antics in your previous accomadations.
    We tried to advise to the best of our abilities.
    We all have reasons for trying to help the public here.

At least you oil boiler is now outdoors.
    But do you have an indoor fire or stove, and if so, does it have an co alarm ?

no we dont have an indoor boiler or stove or carbon monoxide alarm here Tom, we did have at the last place with the indoor oil range. I dont like indoor appliances like that to be honest, wether it be Gas or Oil or solid fuel or whatever always thought they unsafe, apart from CO gasses I worry about them blowing up - I heard someone once in our village where their indoor boiler actually blew up and killed him - it was something to do with the water, or the water wants turned on or was low in the boiler or there was something wrong with the pressure valve or it didnt have one - anyway yeah it blew up and killed the guy!

Actually tell a lie there is a wired Co alarm in the living room in this house we are in now, i forgot about that. but we had a portable battery operated one in the old house. near where the boiler was.

Did your sister have a CO alarm?

Andy

You obviously didn't read the pdf article i posted for your benefit.

My sisters death was this time 20 years ago. Before co alarms became common.

Andy

You obviously didn't read the pdf article i posted for your benefit.

My sisters death was this time 20 years ago. Before co alarms became common.

no sorry, i havent read it yet. Our posts crossed , as I was replying to your previous post as you posted the PDF so i hadnt read it before pressing send on my post ... if that makes sense

Ive just read the pdf now Tom44 - very sorry for your loss she sounded like a lovely lady

• Advertisement
Advertisement