Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good problem, but still a problem!

Options
  • 04-09-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

What advice would you give to someone whose salary is arguably more than what their experience is, looking to change jobs? Many of the roles I see online are within my skill set but the highest end of the range is below what I'm making now. Now don't get me wrong, I realize I'm lucky to be in my situation and many would argue it's a good problem to have. At the same time however, it's making it tricky to consider other opportunities. I'm saving pretty aggressively at the moment so taking a pay cut would not be ideal. I've grown a lot in the role quite quickly but feel I'm a little confined in what impacts I can have.

Is it a case of weighing up the salary vs. job satisfaction or am I missing something? Has anyone been in a similar situation before..?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you're saving for a house or something I would probably stay where you are for the time being and once you're settled you can start looking around for something more satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Sounds like your salary has peaked based on your current skill-set, can you take on extra responsibilities or up skill if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

sounds like your current employer is overpaying you so that you wont leave.....is this a common issue across the company (or in more roles than just yours)?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

daheff wrote: »
    sounds like your current employer is overpaying you so that you wont leave.....is this a common issue across the company (or in more roles than just yours)?

Thank you all for the replies, and apologies for not replying sooner.. After some thinking I decided to go searching and recently received an offer. I expect it to be about 10% lower than my current salary which given all the factors at play personally is one I'm willing to make for the overall balance.

One last Q, when it comes to contract signed versus a change in handbook policies after employment resumed, which supercedes which.. especially when the handbook was never formally acknowledged or agreed upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

One last Q, when it comes to contract signed versus a change in handbook policies after employment resumed, which supercedes which.. especially when the handbook was never formally acknowledged or agreed upon?

This around notice periods by any chance? Your contract is what matters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement