Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What card type do I need to shop online?

Options
  • 04-09-2017 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Didn't know where else to put this so decided to ask here.

I never had a reason before for online shopping, but I recently decided I am going to start collecting vinyls and the best place to get them is online. So I need to ask this question. What card do I need to shop online and how do I get it?

I have a couple of thousand saved up so I can put it in the bank straight away, I no longer have a bank account as it has been so long since I used it and am looking to start fresh...

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

visa debit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Surely the schools are back by now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Create a bank account with the bank of your choice, shop online using their VISA Debit card.

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-current-accounts/your-results/

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Paypal, Visa debit

Can I also ask where you happen to have this magical stash of cash stored away? Under the bed??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

thelad95 wrote: »
    Can I also ask where you happen to have this magical stash of cash stored away? Under the bed??

It wouldn't be worth a burglary charge for less than two grand now would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is the kind of stuff they need to teach in schools instead of algebra.

#howtoadult

biko wrote: »
    This is the kind of stuff they need to teach in schools instead of algebra.

#howtoadult

I left school a decade ago. So probably woulda forgot by now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I can set up a bank account with a card for online shopping for you if send me 1999 euros .

Yours

Prince Akimwande M.D. , attorney at Law , London and USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Birthday card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

How can anyone get by these days without a bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I can set up a bank account with a card for online shopping for you if send me 1999 euros .

Yours

Have you moved from Nigeria your highness?

OP, if you still want to stay living in 1989, there are a select few online retailers that actually allow you to pay the delivery man in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Wheety wrote: »

Ahem

BertieAhern.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Tesco club card should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yours

Have you moved from Nigeria your highness?

Yes I live in my Ferrari off the coast of San Tropez.

I'll have you know I have a large collection of vinyl for sale for exactly 2000 euro's top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

tomofson wrote: »
    What card do I need to shop online and how do I get it?

I have a couple of thousand saved up

Few thousand saved, no bank account...... If you lodge that money the CAB will get ya. If they don't you should get no card as you'll end up spending the money on stupid ****. Or put it in the credit union and make sure you have a max of 300 in your current bank account to protect you from yourself. Of course this is only necessary if your a spaz with da monies and seeing as you've never had a bank account and have been storing these thousands in your mattress, it is highly likely that you are a little bit of a spaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

thelad95 wrote: »

Bertie, is that you..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Revolut card. Yer only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Come on, man... do you really need to ask this? :confused:

• Advertisement

Spider Web wrote: »
    Come on, man... do you really need to ask this? :confused:

Honestly I have never ordered online before, I never had a need to

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You're missing the point of 'collecting vinyl', OP. It's about finding, not ordering. If you're not spending your Saturdays hunting through boxes, developing 'the flick', you're doing it wrong.

endacl wrote: »
    You're missing the point of 'collecting vinyl', OP. It's about finding, not ordering. If you're not spending your Saturdays hunting through boxes, developing 'the flick', you're doing it wrong.

Thats just a bonus, I think its about time I stepped into the online shopping world have actually been meaning to do it for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

endacl wrote: »

Its not flicking vinyl that you develop the flick

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Wheety wrote: »

Someone on social welfare wont need one
    Myself have one just for online shopping all of the rest goes cash here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If you're buying from eBay or a lot of other sites you can use Paypal. If you're buying from Amazon you will need a Visa. The bank will give you a Visa when you open an account.

Discogs can be a good site for buying records by the way. If you do use it be very careful though. You can't see the a picture of the record you're buying so you only have the sellers word to go by. Also it's possible to pay an invoice twice if you're not paying attention.

P.S. It's 'vinyl' or 'records'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You can probably buy by mail order with a postal order but online is far better and faster. I know a woman who still buys things via mail order. As has been said, a debit card from the bank you have a current account. Or you could Google a prepay credit card like Swirl or 3Money.

Advertisement