Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Phone in Dublin Airport

Options
  • 04-09-2017 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Just a quick heads up to everyone, never use your debit/credit card in the pay phones in Dublin Airport, My wife was flying into dublin airport last friday and I was collecting her, her phone battery died so she had to use a public pay phone to ring me to arrange a meeting point and she used her debit card, it was a 30 second call to a irish mobile number. the following day she gets an urgent text from the fraud prevention dept. of her bank, so she calls them, firstly the 30 second call she made cost her €8 and the same company then tried to put through 2 more charges for €10.50 and €9 but the bank blocked them. so she advised them to put a permanent block on that company and to cancel her card and issue her with a new one. the company is called BBG telecom, I googled them and there are hundreds of complaints about them and all from people making calls from pay phones in airports all over the world. seemingly this company specializes in installing payphones in Airports and then fleecing people who use them. I will be contacting the DAA today to make a complaint.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did she read the charge information on the payphone before using it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The payphones are operated by eir not the daa. The charges for using cards are printed on the signs and there is a hefty set up fee for hr calls.

The fraud department would have called as using stolen cards for calls is extremely common - don't expect the blocked charges to not be charged as the provider will have proof of authorisation

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

That's scandalous. Thanks for highlighting OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

L1011 wrote: »
    The payphones are operated by eir not the daa. The charges for using cards are printed on the signs and there is a hefty set up fee for hr calls.

The fraud department would have called as using stolen cards for calls is extremely common - don't expect the blocked charges to not be charged as the provider will have proof of authorisation

The payphone is on DAA property. DAA are in control (and charge for) everything on their property. A complaint to them and about them is entirely justified.

Expecting payphones nowadays to be cheap is unreasonable, the business case for that is not viable any more but charging €28 for a 30 second national call is nothing more than a scam.

A trap like this has no place being facilitated by a supposedly above board company such as DAA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The payphone is on DAA property. DAA are in control (and charge for) everything on their property. A complaint to them and about them is entirely justified.

Expecting payphones nowadays to be cheap is unreasonable, the business case for that is not viable any more but charging €28 for a 30 second national call is nothing more than a scam.

A trap like this has no place being facilitated by a supposedly above board company such as DAA.

The daa will refer the OP to eir and be done with it.

eir will refer to the published prices on the sign

The credit card calls drop to just painfully dear if you make a long call - the set-up fee is the killer

The payphones are rather cheap if you use coins still - credit card is a premium service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Vic_08 wrote: »

So if you have an issue with something bought in Liffey Valley you blame the shopping centre itself and not the store?

Don't make a fool of yourself. Check who operates the phones and make the complaint to them.

But unfortunately, just like directory enquiries, payphones are rarely used, hence the cost of using them has become very high as costs of maintaining them has to be recovered.

Eir are trying to remove all public payphones due to the huge costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I disagree with all the above. Personally I think their is some scam, why would they charge 3 separate transactions? The credit card details must have been leaked or copied or something while using the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did she get through to voicemail on two of the calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

no voicemail, just 1 call to irish mobile lasting about 30 seconds, the company that made the charges is called bbg telecom if you google them you get pages and pages of people complaining about massive charges also when I looked back at the number displayed when she made the call it started with 001 which I think is the code for the US, now why would someone making a call in dublin airport to an Irish mobile be routed through the US. anyway bank have put a permanent block on them trying to take money and I spoke to DAA head of concessions and they are investigating.

Advertisement