Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Gym's

Options
  • 04-09-2017 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I know I know been done before, but the other threads are a little out of date at this stage so just looking for more relevant information.
    Looking to join a gym this week so I can start back doing a bit, thinking of the seven oaks or Talbot as I want to use the pool.
    So can anyone give a bit of info on the state of the gyms at the moment, what sort of equipment etc is in both and are they looked after? ie when something is broke does it get fixed immediately? Or left for a few weeks?
    I would be mainly interested in the cardio side as I have weights at home but no motivation to use them at the moment.
    I'm not interested in boot camp style clubs at the moment as I have done them before so please keep the conversation to gyms if possible.( been to Pauline's bootcamp before and liked it but want to do my own thing this time)
    Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

I personally think the hotel gyms are all pretty rubbish, but probably fine if you're only looking for a leisure centre type arrangement. Seven Oaks or The Talbot are OK.

Vitality Fitness is the best gym in town, but that's mostly weights, a few cardio machines, and no pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Given that the ITs Gym was open to the public from April/Easter til Friday the 1st of September just gone for 60e it might be worth giving them a shout?

It's not run by the IT themselves; it's contracted out to Clark Fitness (?) or something/somebody similar sounding so they're interested in money behind the counter and might be lenient.

Yes they don't have a pool but other than that you're catered for in every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I was a member of the Talbot from January to May of this year and would not recommend it at all.

It is your typical hotel gym tbh with a small selection of cardio and weights equipment. the entire place is in need to a good deep clean and paint tbh with the roof tiles stained from air conditioning units, the walls have alot of marks from weights etc.
    Some of the equipment was in poor condition (paint flaking or cushions burst) and needed repair from the time I started and were still not fixed when I finished going.
    The personal trainers there are really not overly bothered checking in with you unless you approach them on a specific topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

I personally think the hotel gyms are all pretty rubbish, but probably fine if you're only looking for a leisure centre type arrangement. Seven Oaks or The Talbot are OK.

Vitality Fitness is the best gym in town, but that's mostly weights, a few cardio machines, and no pool.

Was in vitality before Keith took it over and while it's very good for weights I always found the cardio section was getting smaller and and something was always broke, and basic things to like no foot straps I the rowing g machine.
    Has this changed since he took it over?

Was in vitality before Keith took it over and while it's very good for weights I always found the cardio section was getting smaller and and something was always broke, and basic things to like no foot straps I the rowing machines.

• Advertisement

tommycahir wrote: »
    I was a member of the Talbot from January to May of this year and would not recommend it at all.

It is your typical hotel gym tbh with a small selection of cardio and weights equipment. the entire place is in need to a good deep clean and paint tbh with the roof tiles stained from air conditioning units, the walls have alot of marks from weights etc.
    Some of the equipment was in poor condition (paint flaking or cushions burst) and needed repair from the time I started and were still not fixed when I finished going.
    The personal trainers there are really not overly bothered checking in with you unless you approach them on a specific topic.
    Thanks this is exactly the info I was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I was a member of the pool in the Talbot this year. The opening hours are good and they're usually open at 6.30am on week mornings rather than the 7am which was advertised.

Depending on the time you plan to swim there, you'd often be fighting for space to swim lengths. The changing rooms are not the cleanest by the end of the day and would think the staff could have done more. Found the staff poor as well and I had little enough to do with them. I tried to organise swimming lessons 2-3 times, put my name down, was told I'd get a call back, never happened even after I'd followed up.

I've never been in the pool in the Seven Oaks so this is only second hand information but someone told me the floor tiles are slippery around the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

tommycahir wrote: »

This was my experience also. Was a member for first three months of this year. Wouldn't join again I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There is no apostrophe in 'Gym's' in this context.

Sorry sorry I know....can't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

There is no apostrophe in 'Gym's' in this context.

Sorry sorry I know....can't help it.

jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's 'Jesus'.

Okay I'll go now......:o

Anyone got any first hand and recent knowledge of the seven oaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

BabyWillis wrote: »
    Was in vitality before Keith took it over and while it's very good for weights I always found the cardio section was getting smaller and and something was always broke, and basic things to like no foot straps I the rowing machines.

The cardio section is pretty small. 2 treadmills, 2 rowing machines, 2 steppers, and 2/3 ellipticals. It's pretty much all weights and functional strength training stuff in there.

I see the Talbot are having an open weekend this weekend so worth a look for anyone interested.

Advertisement