Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a smart phone with just a calls and text plan

Options
  • 03-09-2017 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if I could do the following:
    My wife currently has a work phone deal with vodafone. €13 a month bill pay for free calls and texts to any landline or mobile in Ireland, extra costs for calls and texts to Uk and other countries etc. Phone supplieed with that deal was an old nokia 3310

There are other deals offered such as smartphones, but with them you have to sign up for a data plan which is a lot more expensive.

My wife really only texts or calls, has no interest in internet expect for emailing 2 of our children and her sisters. So I have set up an old vodafone smartphone without a sim card in the house to operate off the house wifi for her to send and receive emails without having to open the laptop to do same.

Now I was wondering if I could put her sim into the smartphone and knock off all data connections so it could be used for calls texts and internet from wifi only. That way she could email from the same phone, once its connected to wifi and could also contact them through other means such as whatsapp, when the phone is connected to wifi.

Is this doable, would vodaphone try to charge her the data plan instead of the calls and texts plan, even though she would not be using vodafones data.
    Is there any other pitfalls/snags I would need to look out for.
    Thanks in advane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Yes you can do that. Just turn off the mobile data (internet outside of wifi ) in settings.

You could have a problem if the smartphone was previously with a different provider so it could be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

tina1040 wrote: »
    Yes you can do that. Just turn off the mobile data (internet outside of wifi ) in settings.

You could have a problem if the smartphone was previously with a different provider so it could be locked.

Thanks for that, No the phone is ok as it was previously used by me on a vodafone payg.
    Main concern we have really is that vodafone could detect that the sim is in a smartphone and then try to force a data plan on my wife, which she does not want at the moment.
    Myself and the children are slowly getting her to see the benefits of having a smart phone and also showing her how to use it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Berberis wrote: »
    Thanks for that, No the phone is ok as it was previously used by me on a vodafone payg.
    Main concern we have really is that vodafone could detect that the sim is in a smartphone and then try to force a data plan on my wife, which she does not want at the moment.

That won't happen.

If you have no set data allowance and use data they will charge a rate per Mb used. This rate is usually quite expensive so best to keep the mobile data off on that phone, look in the small print for the out of bundle data rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Vic_08 wrote: »
    That won't happen.

If you have no set data allowance and use data they will charge a rate per Mb used. This rate is usually quite expensive so best to keep the mobile data off on that phone, look in the small print for the out of bundle data rates.

Cheers, Yep that is a worry if the mobile data gets turned on by mistake.
    Picked up one of those nokia 3 in Vodafone today with the Dunnes stores offer, so may use this one instead of the existing old one my wife is currently using for the emails..

Now to try and sell the idea to my wife and bring her up to the 21st century where phones are concerned.

Advertisement