Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dub high speed taxiway.

Options
  • 03-09-2017 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Is there high speed taxiways at Dublin, or long radius exits off a runway?

I ask because I was on a flight B737 returning yesterday I was sitting in the aisle so wasn't really looking out the window, so I don't know what runway or taxiway it was.

I started looking out the window at about 50 feet or so I noticed the grass was going by really quickly.
    I love landings and this was looking quite exciting, so much so the pax at the window grabbed the seatback in front of him.
    We hit soft enough and then hard on the brakes and reversers, I was loving it, then the aircraft began to veer Right.
    I was pushed into to the side of my seat, I actually thought for a second we had ran off the side.
    No we were on a taxiway, I would swear still under braking as we turned, but not positive, most rapid exit onto a taxi way I ever had.

Or maybe it was just an expedite off runway please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭stopthepanic

See below. link to document below again.

Rapid Exit Taxiway – E6
    Taxiway E6 is the only Rapid Exit Taxiway (RET) at Dublin Airport and is designed for a maximum exit speed of 50KT. However it is expected that aircraft using the RET will normally exit the runway at circa 35KT.
    Rapid Exit Taxiway Indicator Lights (RETILs) are provided.

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/EI_AD_2_EIDW_EN.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Landing 28, E6 is the rapid exit

That said shouldn't be a problem to get a A320/737 to exit onto E5 if the pilots feel like it

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Bumpstop

With a internet map of taxiways and finding the flight on FR.
    I have no Idea how accurate FR is for this.

Runway 28.

We passed E2 at 150kt (gs) 150ft
    Between E2 and E3 it shows 150kts gs 0ft
    a bit past E5 96kts gs 0ft
    into the turn off (veer) E6 68kts gs 0ft

edit 68 kts would be almost 80MPH so that couldn't be right.
    being used to motorsport it felt like a 50MPH turn with trail braking which is 43 kts, below the 50 max posted above.
    So all in order then. thanks gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I'd say those speeds are out of synch with what the aircraft would actually have been doing at those points. I've seen hundreds of aircraft exiting at E6 over the years and most are close to taxi speed when they exit the runway. As a passenger I've never experienced other than modest turn forces at E6.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Ive had a hairy vacation (runway vacation, I swear!!) on E6 once. Similar situation in a RYR flight from Bergamo. It was very busy at E1 and on 16/34, probably 9/10 aircraft holding short. I imagine the APP controller was packing them tight enough with no room or big gaps in the sequence. End product must've been the AMC getting everyone to give 'good speed vacating please until clear!!' Nothing out of the ordinary and a turn at 45 knots can be shaky, but the turn off is so shallow it's completely safe - it's designed for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

E6 is also the only taxiway that can be used with RYW28 low vis ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭stopthepanic

JCX BXC wrote: »
    E6 is also the only taxiway that can be used with RYW28 low vis ops.

E5 is the only taxiway that cannot be used during RWY28 Low Vis ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/53.4211/-6.2707
    That said shouldn't be a problem to get a A320/737 to exit onto E5 if the pilots feel like it
    Might that be ambitious, unless aircraft is empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh, on second thought I'm probably ambitious with my remark, was relaying what was said on ATC, however they were likely only interested in keeping ops moving.

Yesterday you landed and vacated on Echo 3 as 10 was in use. Echo 3 has had or will have (very soon) modifications done to make it a RET. It is better in fact than the only actual RET (E6) as it leads into H3 and aircraft don't really have to slow down to do a 120deg turn like E6.

Ignore FR speeds they are not in the slightest bit accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Landing 28, E6 is the rapid exit

E5 is supposed to be used by Turboprops only on 28, as apparently the runway will be vacated more quickly at E6 by a jet. This due to the Jet needing to come to a standstill at E5 to make the 90 degree turn vs coming off at E6 at speed. The whole point of RETs is to get the runway vacated ASAP

A320s/737s do occasionally still vacate at E5 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

HTCOne wrote: »
    A320s/737s do occasionally still vacate at E5 though.

I can recall an evening landing on 28, A320, took E5 and we overtook the previous lander who clearly had missed E6 and probably took E7.

Advertisement