Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career options for Computer Science through Arts

Options
  • 03-09-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am taking Computer Science as one of my subjects in an arts degree and I am wondering what my career options are if I major in it for my final year. I do often hear people say that because its an arts degree and not a science it will be difficult to get a job. Is this true? Its a bit worrying as I was hoping to get in to a job within a year of graduating. Will I have to do a master or some sort of course in order for me to get a job? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 monpog13

JUst because it is through arts doesnt mean you wont get a job in IT.
    What grade are you on and how many modules a year are you taking in computer science, are you good at programming? how many languages/frameworks etc are you familiar with? - even if you have done one language would you be able to pick up a new language etc with your knowledge of oop etc

the jobs advertise for a computer related degree, sometimes the grade over 2.2 or 2.1 and then specifications related to the job e.g familiar with python, php etc

so its kind of more how confident are you in computer science not that you done it through arts, you are probably more limited in terms of the areas you can go into but im sire you have some sort of path in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You'll be grand.. You'll probably need further study anyway depending on what area of IT you wish to pursue.

Advertisement