Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start

Options
  • 03-09-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Apologies on the username 😳 Admin can you pm me on how to change it ?

Ok so my elderly uncle has offered us the opportunity to build on to his cottage which I'm really interested in doing .
    It's pretty run down at the moment but there's loads of room to extend as it's on an acre site . We would have our own entrance etc so like a separate house .

I just don't know where to start really ... do we get an architect to draw up plans and will this cost 4K like I'm reading on another thread ?

Obviously then PP is needed and money .

Legally I think he will have to sign everything over but that hasn't been discussed yet .

Anything else I'm missing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

first get an architect and quantity surveyer to give you a ball park on the costs involved

then get the house and land its on in your name.

then get plans done and apply for planning

• Registered Users Posts: 22 m.i.l.f

first get an architect and quantity surveyer to give you a ball park on the costs involved

then get the house and land its on in your name.

then get plans done and apply for planning

Thanks pen turner ... will start asking around for recommendations on architects

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Is the uncle going to sign everything over? If so there will be tax implications.....if not then you won't be able to borrow to do the house up and extend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 m.i.l.f

893bet wrote: »
    Is the uncle going to sign everything over? If so there will be tax implications.....if not then you won't be able to borrow to do the house up and extend.

Thanks for that I will look up the tax implications

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Penelope Petra

I would think your first step is decide on your budget and then get drawings done based on this. I would then look for planning before signing anything over. From what you have described your Uncle will remain living in part of the cottage in a granny flat and there are specific planning regulations around doing this so best make sure you will be allowed build before everything is signed over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement