Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer working but immersion not heating

Options
  • 03-09-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Good day! I am wondring if anyone can help me with my immersion tank. I have tried putting it on the timer for morning use. Timer lights up but the tank.is not heating up. Tried constant on, it wont heat up till i boost it up. Help please...thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The electric immersion usually have a reset button on top of them, try pressing that. Odds are otherwise it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aby1014

Water John wrote: »
    The electric immersion usually have a reset button on top of them, try pressing that. Odds are otherwise it's gone.
    I have pressed it a couple of times and it starts to heat up only when its on boost. You think its tripping? Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Lots of power there so its best not to leave the problem undiagnosed. If I were you I would as an electrician to have a look at it. A lot of the older installs are poor, or have been made poor by upgrading shower, insulation on top of wiring, cables retro burred in walls etc. So for peace of mind, it will be well worth having it checked.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Next dilemna is to call a plumber or electrician?

quote="Wearb;104568334"]Lots of power there so its best not to leave the problem undiagnosed. If I were you I would as an electrician to have a look at it. A lot of the older installs are poor, or have been made poor by upgrading shower, insulation on top of wiring, cables retro burred in walls etc. So for peace of mind, it will be well worth having it checked.[/quote]

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

For this particular problem and to have the installation checked out...call an electrician.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Thank you so much

quote="Wearb;104568410"]For this particular problem and to have the installation checked out...call an electrician.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I wouldn't assume that the timer is working properly.

If it heats the water on boost (I guess this is by pressing the 1 hour boost button common on a number of timers) then the immersion element and wiring from the timer to the element is probably ok.

I'd suggest getting an electrician to check the output of the timer and compare what happens when it is timed / permanently on / on boost.

Unless your hot water tank has a dual or twin element and boost setting powers a different element to on/timed settings my bet is on it being a problem with the timer.

Didnt realize this is so complicated
    Lol! Thank you guys!

quote="FishOnABike;104568430"]I wouldn't assume that the timer is working properly.

If it heats the water on boost (I guess this is by pressing the 1 hour boost button common on a number of timers) then the immersion element and wiring from the timer to the element is probably ok.

I'd suggest getting an electrician to check the output of the timer and compare what happens when it is timed / permanently on / on boost.

Unless your hot water tank has a dual or twin element and boost setting powers a different element to on/timed settings my bet is on it being a problem with the timer.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

If you're anyway handy buy a new timer and install yourself. It's easy enough just make sure to turn off the electricity at the switchboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

thegills wrote: »
    If you're anyway handy buy a new timer and install yourself. It's easy enough just make sure to turn off the electricity at the switchboard.
    I'd test or have someone test it for me first. The electronic timers can be pricey enough (€100 + or - depending on the model) to not want to fire parts at a problem in the hope it would fix it without having diagnosed the problem properly first.

Edit: did a quick search they are availabe for under €50 depending on the model.

Replacing with anything other than a similar model can be difficult sometimes depending on how much slack there is in the wiring to it. I've seen wiring with so little play that anything other than a like for like replacement is.next to impossible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement