Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monaghan search

Options
  • 02-09-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I can get an ancestor on the ship St. George leaving Dublin to Liverpool to New York City, arrived 28 November 1848. Problem is several fold: name is common, Margaret Ann Monaghan, and two, ship register says she is 15 years of age while family notes say she is 19. Suggestions on my next steps is greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What are the family notes that give her age?

People were not good with ages in that time. She wouldn't have a birth certificate (assuming born in Ireland).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HTW

The notes were put together some years ago by my grandfather's sister's daughter, now deceased. These notes have several typos, so there is the chance that her source was correct OR she just mistyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

+ 1 on Pinky's comment. I would not agree that Margaret Anne Monaghan was a common name, I'd say it is not frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Is she on any baptismal register? or her siblings?

The relatives notes may have been compiled from notoriously inaccurate oral history. In this context, a four year discrepancy is not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

She might have reduced her age to obtain a cheaper fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

KildareFan wrote: »
    She might have reduced her age to obtain a cheaper fare.

I do not remember seeing child fares on shipping advertisements.

Even if there was a reduced fare, 12 would be a more likely cut-off age, or at most 14.

Advertisement