Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert REVIEW problem !

Options
  • 02-09-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi so yesterday I went to review my scripts as I was really disappointed with one of my exams, which in fact was Polish. I was hoping for either a h1/h2 but I got a h3 which I simply couldn't understand , as much weaker students got grades higher than me. When viewing the script yesterday I've noticed that my exam was originally given 85% which was then crossed out by the same examiner and given 77%.. no reasoning behind it . My polish teacher came with me to read through my paper stating she doesn't understand why was I brought down 7%.. she claimed I deserve much better than this as my answers were all of high standard. I wanted to know if anyone else came across a similar problem? An examiner downgrading their own work? Could it be simply to get their famous 'bell curve' right ? Also does anyone know if examiners are allowed to write over our scripts as my teacher told me that apparently they are not. Which in my case would suggest an inexperienced examiner .. Would there be a chance of getting that h2 I've originally gotten after an appeal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Juliett999 wrote: »
    Hi so yesterday I went to review my scripts as I was really disappointed with one of my exams, which in fact was Polish. I was hoping for either a h1/h2 but I got a h3 which I simply couldn't understand , as much weaker students got grades higher than me. When viewing the script yesterday I've noticed that my exam was originally given 85% which was then crossed out by the same examiner and given 77%.. no reasoning behind it . My polish teacher came with me to read through my paper stating she doesn't understand why was I brought down 7%.. she claimed I deserve much better than this as my answers were all of high standard. I wanted to know if anyone else came across a similar problem? An examiner downgrading their own work? Could it be simply to get their famous 'bell curve' right ? Also does anyone know if examiners are allowed to write over our scripts as my teacher told me that apparently they are not. Which in my case would suggest an inexperienced examiner .. Would there be a chance of getting that h2 I've originally gotten after an appeal?

It's the marking scheme that's adjusted for the bell curve not your script. Was the second figure written in a different coloured pen (green perhaps)? If so your paper was re-corrected by a higher examiner and they obviously felt that you're original grade wasn't right. This happened to me with my Geography paper. I'd gotten 86% by the first examiner (written in red) and 92% written by the second examiner (in green) - thankfully!

That being said if you and your teacher both felt that you deserved a higher grade you may as well send it off to be corrected again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Juliett999

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    It's the marking scheme that's adjusted for the bell curve not your script. Was the second figure written in a different coloured pen (green perhaps)? If so your paper was re-corrected by a higher examiner and they obviously felt that you're original grade wasn't right. This happened to me with my Geography paper. I'd gotten 86% by the first examiner (written in red) and 92% written by the second examiner (in green) - thankfully!

That being said if you and your teacher both felt that you deserved a higher grade you may as well send it off to be corrected again.

No the second grade was applied in the same column with a red pen, so it clearly was the same examiner. Lucky you :) hopefully the rechecks will go well 🀞ðŸ¼

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The examiner may have been given a change to the scheme and had to recorrect their papers. It happens all the time. They will have been following instructions from their supervisor.

Is there just one change of marks on the front page or have marks been adjusted inside the paper?

I doubt there is much turnover of Polish correctors. They will be a Polish trained and qualified teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Juliett999

spurious wrote: »
    The examiner may have been given a change to the scheme and had to recorrect their papers. It happens all the time. They will have been following instructions from their supervisor.

Is there just one change of marks on the front page or have marks been adjusted inside the paper?

I doubt there is much turnover of Polish correctors. They will be a Polish trained and qualified teacher.

The % was crossed out on the front page and then in the inside .. however they didn't give and justify the individual marks per question just have the overall %. It's hard to correct the polish exam according to the marking scheme so I don't think it was adjusted, as the exam consists of 3Qs. 1.is a comprehension which I got 30/30% .. Q2+3 are both essays which my teacher said deserved much more than they got .. at the start I had 35/40%
    Yet then the corrector changed it to 30/40 .. what could she have possibly spotted the second time around ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

If your teacher thinks it's worth appealing, I'd definitely appeal it. I couldn't imagine they would say that too loosely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement