Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I drop out then come back for LC?

Options
  • 02-09-2017 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

School - for me - is a very toxic and unfriendly place. And recently I've been considering studying at home. I talked to the principal and he said homeschooling is a very long process ect ect but we didn't mention what if i just dropped out to study at home and then did the LC through one of the programs?
    Would this be possible?

I just finished TY so 2 years left

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moonsun

Hi, yes, you most certainly can drop out of school and be homeschooled/homeschool yourself. But you'd have to get your parents' permission. And yes, you could just stop going to school at any time, and your parents would have to notify Tusla. Don't mind the principal. He doesn't want pupil numbers to drop coz he might lose a teacher. There's loads of info online about this topic. Good luck and good for you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What 'programs' are you talking about?

You will do quite a limited set of subjects if you are homeschooled, unless your parents can pay for a regular set of teachers to oversee project work.

Your school will take you off the roll if you do not attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

Yes you can. I'm currently in my leaving cert year and have made the decision to do home schooling due to my depression and severe anxiety which was affecting my grades and caused me to have several panic attacks in school, I also refused to eat in school due to being self conscious about eating in front of others and so home schooling was the best choice for my mental health and overall physical health. It is not a long process, it took me 2 weeks to be given a license to prove that I'm homeschooled and to register as a out-of-school student. I'd recommend having a look at homeschool.ie, which is a brilliant website for homeschooling, my cousin had used it for her leaving cert course because she too was unable to remain in school due to depression and anxiety, and she came out with 600 points in her leaving cert! she swears by it. There are also many reviews of the website which you can read yourself and you can contact the owner of it who is a very kind man. It officially begins next Monday. It costs 99 euro per subject and some subjects are not on the website such as German. Goodluck, and please don't listen to your principle, he/she only wants you to remain in school so you don't request your money to be refunded.

Advertisement