Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree Eligibility Hibernia

Options
  • 01-09-2017 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi all,

My husband is going back to repeat his honours Irish and I want to make certain that he is eligible for Hibernia.

He spent 4 years in WIT and graduated with a Bachelor of Business. He passed it but didn't get the honour.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Emmser wrote: »
    Hi all,

My husband is going back to repeat his honours Irish and I want to make certain that he is eligible for Hibernia.

He spent 4 years in WIT and graduated with a Bachelor of Business. He passed it but didn't get the honour.

Thanks for your input.

Did he pass a Level 8 or Level 7 degree? If it was Level 8 then as far as I know they can leave him in if they wish. I'm sure the minimum requirements are on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

dory wrote: »
    Did he pass a Level 8 or Level 7 degree? If it was Level 8 then as far as I know they can leave him in if they wish. I'm sure the minimum requirements are on their site.

He 'passed' a level 8 degree but their site somewhat confused me, it says 'an honours degree, level 8 and the grade and subject are not relevant' and when he completed his level 8, it was a 1.1 a 2.1 a 2.2 or a pass. He got a pass but it was a level 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

My hazy understanding was that a 3 year degree (2 subjects) used to translate into an 'ordinary' degree level for each subject even if you got the 2.1 or whatever. But if you passed a 4 year degree in 1 subject then it was considered at 'Honours' level? And the joint-ordinarys and single hons were both at Level 8!

Anyway, I'm going on a hazy recollection of what someone told me 10 years ago:rolleyes:
    The only 100% sure way is to ring up the Teaching Council OP.

Edit: If it's any hope this was discussed here about 9 years ago and it looks like your fella has a Third Class Honours Level 8 Degree! They don't really call it a 'pass honours degree' anymore ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055436470

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Any grade in a Level 8 degree would have made him eligible before 2016. Since then, the minimum requirement has been a 2.2 grade.

https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Information/-New-Teachers/Entry-Requirements-Professional-Master-of-Education-Professional-Masters-in-Education-Primary-Teaching-.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I would also check that he would be qualified for Business plus a second subject. Accounting seems to be covered by most business degrees as most of our teachers can do both, some have maths.

However I have noticed that some are Business only which really limits the school and the teacher in what they can do.

When Hibernia say the subject isn't important , that's for entry. Anecdotally,you cant move for business teachers. When you advertise you can't get one. I don't know what the real situation is, probably depends on where you live.

• Advertisement

Hi, yes I'd seen the education.ie document before and that's only for those specific colleges mentioned (i.e. The four state funded courses) and Hibernia wasn't mentioned as it is a private institution.

Hibernia clarified it by saying that they accept Level 8's once passed. However, I'd feel safer if someone that had passed a Level 8 and completed the postgrad with Hibernia and was now out registered and working contacted me! Anyone?!

I would also check that he would be qualified for Business plus a second subject. Accounting seems to be covered by most business degrees as most of our teachers can do both, some have maths.

However I have noticed that some are Business only which really limits the school and the teacher in what they can do.

When Hibernia say the subject isn't important , that's for entry. Anecdotally,you cant move for business teachers. When you advertise you can't get one. I don't know what the real situation is, probably depends on where you live.

Hi, it's for Primary only he is interested in. But many thanks for your help.

Any grade in a Level 8 degree would have made him eligible before 2016. Since then, the minimum requirement has been a 2.2 grade.

https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Information/-New-Teachers/Entry-Requirements-Professional-Master-of-Education-Professional-Masters-in-Education-Primary-Teaching-.pdf

Hi, I'd be interested in finding out had you experience of this before? I rang Hibernia and they assured me Level 8 degrees, regardless of grade were still being accepted for their course. I cited the education.ie information and they told me it was only state funded colleges that require a 2.2 and they are private.

Hi, I'd be interested in finding out had you experience of this before? I rang Hibernia and they assured me Level 8 degrees, regardless of grade were still being accepted for their course. I cited the education.ie information and they told me it was only state funded colleges that require a 2.2 and they are private.

Hi all, wanted to update. He actually did get a 2.2h and was accepted to Hibernia this year. It wouldn’t have mattered if it were a pass degree or 2.2h once it was a level 8. Thank you for all your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi all, wanted to update. He actually did get a 2.2h and was accepted to Hibernia this year. It wouldn’t have mattered if it were a pass degree or 2.2h once it was a level 8. Thank you for all your help.

Best of Luck to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement